Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro 13" early 2011 RAM questions

I wish to upgrade the memory in my Macbook Pro 13" Early 2011 to 8GB and would like to know if the "S" in the Macbook manual referencing the RAM stands for single rank? The below is the only information listed for the memory specifications.

PC3-10600S DDR3 1333 MHz Type RAM

I found an article here explaining the differences between single and duel rank and according to it single rank is supposed to be faster.

http://www.moynetworks.com/knowledgebase/SinglevsDualRAM.pdf

Macbook Pro 13" 2011

Posted on Mar 4, 2011 12:49 PM

16 replies

Mar 6, 2011 7:32 AM in response to iVmichael

No I just have not received the memory yet when I do whatever the result I will post back here. The value of these forums I believe as with all support forums is the honest sharing of information for the good of all. So stand by. As for purchasing my memory prior to or after a reply or opinion.I was simply asking about clarification of the letter "S" in the apple Spec's in the manual. My intent was not to offend or disrespect this forum.

Mar 9, 2011 5:36 PM in response to BYOH

The G.Skill Memory I mentioned in this thread has been installed and is working with no issues. I have a duel boot system with Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit and had a memory score of 5.9 after re-running the assessment it went to 7.4 with the 8GB!Things are definitely faster in Mac OS and in Windows after the upgrade.

Apr 24, 2011 3:51 AM in response to BYOH

It would be nice to see your xbench results, I just updateto Crucial on MBP 2011 17” 2.2GHz. Windows index is 7.6. The only think that I don’tlike is Allocate index, it was 3.49 on original Samsung on went to 1.64.

Look at results, left is after update to crucial and rightoriginal Samsung from Apple.

User uploaded file

Aug 26, 2011 5:59 AM in response to BYOH

I just got 13" macbook pro Lion OS I am not real computer literate

I wanted to transfer my folders and files from my other PCs

I stored all folders and files on a USB Flash Stick

when i opened Flash on mac I selected all and dragged to Documents

It didn't copy "folders" and it converted .doc to .pdf

So i deleted and want to find a way to transfer (it seems like migration only works with CD)

How can i do a migration/transfer off Flash?

Does Mac provide a similiar PC feature called a folder where i can embed lots of files in one overriding structure?

Some of my PC folders have 100+ files embedded and I do not want to have all files displayed as i try to search thru Documents

Thanks in advance

Sam

Oct 4, 2011 5:40 PM in response to BYOH

I just suffered through a 5-month "experiment" of what happens when you upgrade an early-2011 Macbook Pro with "G.SKILL 8GB (2 x 4GB) 204-Pin DDR3 SO-DIMM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) Laptop Memory Model F3-10600CL9D-8GBSQ" from Newegg, i.e., the same memory that 2 people above in this thread say was working for them.

Here's what happened:

* rare application crashes, usually involving "Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)"

* rare OSX crashes (such as the Crash Reporter crashing, lol)

* even rarer kernel panics

* every now and then, an unexplainable rash of crashes all in one day, and then a week with no crashes.

Eventually it seemed like something else was up other than just a complex mess of applications and settings in my account (since I transferred this account across 2 previous generations of MacMinis, including a G4, and also started running a couple Parallels VMs, it seemed reasonable that I should probably expect some trouble for pure software reasons,).

So I ran intensive all-night memory tests in single-user mode using MEMTEST. No problems found. I ran Apple Hardware Test all night. No problems. So I did clean hard drive wipe and reinstall of Snow Leopard and reinstall of applications. Same problems continued happening.

Then I took the laptop to an Apple Authorized Service Provider who ran the toughest hardware tests they have, also overnight, including a specific focus on this G.Skill memory. No problems found.And they said this G.Skill memory should generally be fine for use in a Macbook. But it might be worth a try anyway to swap it out for different memory.

So I did. And it fixed the problem. I swapped out the 8GB of G.Skill for 8GB of Crucial brand memory and the problem has totally disappeared.

Nov 17, 2011 5:23 PM in response to BYOH

Came across this thread searching for the max amount of supported RAM for a client using the older MacBookPro 4,1

Just figured I'd chime in and share my experience with my recent personal MacBookPro RAM upgrade.

I installed 2 4GB G.Skill DDR3-1066 memory modules within the last 6 months or so and have had not a single problem since. Not really sure why the guy above me had issues, but I'm willing to bet it was faulty RAM (Even faulty RAM can sometimes pass memory tests... especially RAM that isn't TECHNICALLY supported on that hardware.)

Fear not when making the switch. It's not necessary to buy Apple certified RAM. I've never had an issue with G.Skill in the past and they're the only brand I prefer to use in my gaming PCs. If you have issues with your G.Skill RAM in a MacBookPro, I suggest contacting the manufacturer and getting a replacement.

Dec 1, 2011 9:49 AM in response to XmDaWgX

Just cancelled my order from Newegg for G.Skill F3-10600CL9D-8GBSQ memory kit when I came across a review from someone having the same problems as alanngnet. This is the response from G.Skill to his comments:

"Dear Customer

We are sorry to hear the memory is not working properly. This memory kit is not for Apple computers. For 2011+ MacBook Pros, we recommend the G.Skill FA-10666CL9D-8GBSQ. This is the correct model, and it is perfectly compatible. Please contact NewEgg to make the exchange and a replacement should work flawlessly. For any further questions or issues, feel free to contact us directly.

Thank you

GSKILL SUPPORT

Quality and customer service are our top priorities.

Tech Support Email: ustech@gskillusa.com

RMA Dept Email: rma@gskillusa.com

G.Skill Forum: http://www.gskill.us/forum/"

Of course, Newegg is sold out of the recommended memory modules.

Mar 16, 2012 8:01 AM in response to NiRCOA

Not to revive an old thread but as an update. Gskill does recommend the 10666 but the Apple manual states "PC3-10600S DDR3 1333 MHz Type RAM" I figure Apple the better SME.
This is why I stuck with the 10600 rather than the 10666. The memory has been error free as far as I can tell no crashes or other abnormal behaviour since it's install back in early March 2011. Even after recently upgrading to Lion and Installing a replacement larger HDD also Bootcamped Win 7 Ultimate. Reviewes at Newegg seem to show that folks have both types working fine in there Macbook Pro's. When I E-Mailed Gskill I told the rep I installed the 10600 and his reply was:

"Dear Customer

Should be no problem.

Thank you
GSKILL SUPPORT"

Macbook Pro 13" early 2011 RAM questions

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.