Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Copying DVDs to an iPad... Is it possible? Which formats?

Okay, now before everyone rips into me and goes off about piracy and theft and all that stuff, lemme explain...

I'm a pilot working toward my instrument rating. I have 18 hours of instructional DVDs -- THAT I PAID FOR WITH GOOD OLE (SOON TO BE WORTHLESS) US DOLLARS -- and I was wanting to rip them into another format and store them on an iPad. The only reason I want an iPad is for the ForeFlight App which is something that countless pilots have migrated to in favor of a paperless cockpit.

My plan was to buy an iPad2 and use it for all of my aviation tasks which would be 1) navigation with the GPS capability, and 2) flight instruction with the training DVDs and website tests.

I'm a long time Apple user, but never owned an iPad. I've read that the iPad can only play certain video formats, and to store DVDs on an iPad you have to "jailbreak" it, whatever that means.

In a nutshell, I just want to know if it's possible for me to store my DVDs on an iPad2. I have about 80GB of DVD video that I would need to compress to fit onto a 32 or 64GB iPad.

MacBook Pro 2.53 GHz Intel Core i5, Mac OS X (10.6.4), 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3

Posted on Mar 5, 2011 12:13 AM

38 replies

May 11, 2013 7:24 AM in response to DorianJ

Hello, DorianJ. Yes, it's possible to copy DVD to iPad. If you buy the DVD movie, it should comes with a digital code, you can use the code to download the digital version of the movie into your iTunes and sync the movie to your iPad. If you don't have the code, you have to convert the DVD movie to mp4 video for transferring to iPad. And here is a step by step guide about how to do that, it works pretty well for me.

http://www.dvdtoipadripper.com/how-to-rip-dvd-convert-video-to-ipad.html

Contact me if you need further help.

Mar 5, 2011 1:09 AM in response to DorianJ

Listen bro, heres the solution follow these tips and focus :

1- you need a pc, whether its a mac or pc

2- you hAve to put the dvd on your mac/pc and drag the movie after opening the containing folder in your pc files.

3- get a video format convertor

4- convert your dvd format to .AVI its the most common playable format on ipad

5- finish converting your dvd to ,AVI

6- get a ipad, and download a app called yxplayer2 lite , its free on the app store

7- attach your ipad to your pc, and through itunes open your yxplayer2 lite app and "drag" your .AVI convertrd dvd inside

8- wait until the transfer finish

7- when its finished BOOM open your yxplayer2 and enjoy your legal tips to watch your own paid off dvds on your majic machine called iPad2.

Regards,
Khalid from Kuwait.

Mar 5, 2011 8:32 AM in response to iPadKisser

Considering that this responder still do not know how to look in the user's guide to find the answer to the multiple questions he has per day, and has said that he does not have the time to search the forum for answers himself, I would recommend that the original poster be very cautious about accepting his advice on anything related to the iPad.

The easiest way to convert a video to the iPad is, as another poster said, to use Handbrake. The "Apple TV" preset will work fine, but a recent update included a "iPad" preset. It will create a video that will work fine in the the Video Player on the iPad, without having to worry about any additional settings.

Mar 5, 2011 9:00 AM in response to DorianJ

If you own the DVD and do not break any laws in your country/state you could consider this:
(Maybe you did produce your own protected DVD's and needs to make a backup for any reason!)

Use WinX Bluray DVD iPad ripper, it was free to download one month ago, as an offer from the company selling it. (The PC version) it does everything for you, you can select audio track, video track and subtitles to include!

If it has problems with some DVD's there is a program called AnyDVD that can be installed on a PC(Windows), it removes any problems in the background, but you then also need to use your choice of program to copy/rip any video tracks needed. (WinX...., DvD to mobile, Roxio...)

If you need to convert diffrent movie/video-files formats "DivX, MKV, WMV, AVI" to .m4v(mp4) or to play/stream them directly to your iPad och iPhone i would recommend AirVideo on the AppStore..
Once you but it you can download the server part to use for conversion and remote access while on the go.
(You can also sync them after adding them to iTunes if you want.)

Copying DVDs to an iPad... Is it possible? Which formats?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.