Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

NAS for Mac

Hi. I want to put put all my media content on a NAS and connect it to an ethernet port on my Apple Airport Extreme. For iPhoto and iMovie to work properly, my understanding is that the content (the photos and videos) need to be stored on a disk that is formatted "Mac OS Extended Journaled". Assuming this is true, which NAS devices allow their disks to be formatted in this manner? Lacie? Thank you

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.6)

Posted on Mar 5, 2011 3:29 AM

7 replies

Mar 5, 2011 9:49 AM in response to thomas_r.

Thank you for the response Thomas. I do have an external hard drive, but it only has Firewire 800 and USB ports. I tried connecting it to the Airport Extreme's USB port, but performance was very slow. I believe performance will be better with a drive that I can connect to Airport Extreme ethernet port. Sound right? That why I was asking for a recommendation on a NAS (or, as you point out, simply a hard drive) that I can format as Mac OS Extended Journaled and that I can connect via ethernet. Thank you

Mar 5, 2011 12:20 PM in response to pomme4moi

In the IT shops, I have worked in, generally Nas is placed on its own 100 Gb network to keep the speed up by isolating the data to a netwrok only for it. Even so, if truly high speed access is required to the data then NAS is not even considered as a possible solution. Directly connected storage can alway blow the socks off of NAS.

| ___________________

Allan
User uploaded file

NAS for Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.