Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2nd gen nano not recognised with any computer but new nano is..

Hi folks,
I bought a new nano yesterday and it works a treat but when I went to plug in my old 2nd gen nano so I could restore factory settings to give to my daughter it wasnt recognised.
It charges up but is not showing up in itunes and is not identified as being plugged in as an external device. I am using iTunes 10.2 and Snow Leopard. I have also tried plugging it into my daughters windows laptop but we have the same problem.
I have used different ports, different leads and tried the restore reboot and reinstall of iTunes but still no joy!
Does anyone have any other ideas I can try before I have to pay for a solution?!
Thanks!

McBook Pro

Posted on Mar 6, 2011 1:29 AM

5 replies

Jun 19, 2011 4:42 PM in response to TraciG

I'm having exactly the same issue. The ipod works, but won't be recognized in any computer or itunes to update or sync. Wen't through the entire apple troubleshooter (above) and the 'ipod not recognized in 'my computer' and in iTurnes for windows' article. Neither fixed my problem.

The problem isn't the ipod, it's iTunes 10. I called expresslane twice and went to genius bar and they don't have a solution, especially since the product is obviously out of warranty. I tried installing an older version of itunes (5 times) and it won't run. I get an 'itunes.itl won't run because it was created by a later version of itunes' message. So that doesn't seem to be an option. Also, my ipod photo 4th generation works fine and it's much older. Apple has been worthless.

Bottom line - Apple broke our 2nd gen nanos with iTunes 10 (as they require itunes to operate.) And Apple won't do anything about it. Worthless!

If anyone has had success please let us know!

Oct 7, 2015 12:22 PM in response to TraciG

I helped an iPod Nano 2nd gen owner get their device accessible again.

I followed the link that 'Mac on Andy' provided: http://www.apple.com/support/ipod/five_rs/nano2gen/

Restarting the device using the Select and Home buttons did the trick!

'm not sure why people think iTunes doesn't work with older devices.

I used iTunes 12.3 during my troubleshooting.

2nd gen nano not recognised with any computer but new nano is..

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.