Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Keys F1,1,Q,A,Z,Backspace,F12 don't work

Hi.

First let me say that the keyboard is not wet.

Since a lot of months ago, these keys don't work when I'm using the battery (with or without the battery charger connected), but if I remove the battery and use the computer connected to the charger, all the keys work fine.

The "big" problem is that since yesterday these keys no longer work with or without the battery.

I opened the computer and checked that the keyboard is correctly connected to the motherboard, and the cable connection below the trackpad seems to be fine.

*The really strange thing is that until now the keyboard worked fine without battery.*

My upper case model is the one with silver cable.

Please, can anyone tell me something to do in order of trying to repair the keyboard without having to buy a new one?

Thanks!!

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.4.11)

Posted on Mar 6, 2011 5:15 AM

6 replies

Mar 6, 2011 8:43 AM in response to jorgeoa

jorgeoa:

Welcome to Apple Discussions.

Your best bet would be to make an appointment at the Genius Bar of your nearest Apple Store. They will be able to check this out for you quickly. There is usually no charge for checking.

If you are not near an Apple Store you can try an external USB keyboard and see if you have problems with it. If the external keyboard works fine, it would seem to indicate that the issue is with your keyboard or the ribbon cable. If you need to replace the keyboard you will need to replace the upper case of your computer as it is a single unit with the keyboard.

Good luck.

😉 cornelius

Message was edited by: cornelius

Mar 7, 2011 2:05 PM in response to cornelius

Hi again.

Today I've reset the SMC but the problem still persists, but finally I've found the problem: the cable or the connector behind the battery.

The moment you touch the cable, the keys stop working.

I'll try to reconnect the cable, but probably it's damaged so I'll buy another one.

Does anyone know a store that deliveries to Spain?

Thanks!

Keys F1,1,Q,A,Z,Backspace,F12 don't work

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.