Skip navigation

Adding Standard Deviation Bars to graphs

7900 Views 15 Replies Latest reply: Sep 22, 2013 10:43 AM by yaychemistry RSS
1 2 Previous Next
Alexa M Calculating status...
Currently Being Moderated
Mar 6, 2011 6:47 AM
Hello, I searched to find the answer to my question, but when I tried a few of the methods, it would not let me put any values into the data range of the positive/negative value range.

I am wondering how to add standard deviation error bars to my bar graph. The bar graph contains 5 columns, each with its own mean and set of data. It therefore needs to have a custom standard deviation for each bar. I am having trouble applying the custom standard deviation error bar to a single column. The same error bar is being added to all 5 columns. How can customize each column to have its own standard deviation error bar? Thank you.
MacBook Pro, n/a
  • Jerrold Green1 Level 7 Level 7 (28,185 points)
    Mar 6, 2011 7:49 AM (in response to Alexa M)
    Alexa,

I see you've returned to the Standard Deviation subject that you first asked about in December.

The big picture is that you have several sets of data that you have summarized. Your summary includes an average or an estimate of the mean and a standard deviation calculation for each data set.

Now you have a series (range) of cells that contains the average or mean and a series that contains the standard deviation calculations. I also assume that you have a header row or column that has your labels.

Select the range with the averages and Chart it. Select the series in the chart and in the Chart Inspector go to the Series Tab and expand the Advanced menu. Click the Error Bars tab and choose Positive and Negative. Change Fixed Value to Custom. Delete the default number in the Positive field and then click on the cell range label for the standard deviation in your table. Do the same for the Negative field.

That is the whole deal. If you have any problems, let us know.

Jerry
    (dead)iMac G5, 10.5.8 / iMac Core 2 Duo & MBP, 10.6.6
  • Baltser Calculating status...
    Apr 19, 2011 1:39 PM (in response to Alexa M)

Hi!

I have the same problem! I have two bars each of which is an average with a standard deviation. How did you add your standard deviation to each bar??

Thanks,

Louise

Apr 19, 2011 7:55 PM (in response to Baltser)

Louise,

The answer to your question is in the second post in this topic.

Jerry

• Baltser Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Apr 19, 2011 11:05 PM (in response to Alexa M)

Hi Jerry,

I know you posted, but I dont  understand what you have written! I am not a computer genius and my version is in Danish, which makes it even harder to find the right functions, However, do you make a chart of the 2 averages and then click on the "i" (blue bottom in right left corner, which is Information in danish but I assume that it would be Chart Inspector in english) because that is what I do. And as Alexa wrote it still selects both bars at the same time, it is impossible only to select one at at time!

Thank you for you quick reply

Louise

Apr 20, 2011 4:45 AM (in response to Baltser)

Louise,

I apologize if my reply seemed abrupt.  Here is a screen shot that I hope will illlustrate my explanation in the post above.

Screen shot 2011-04-20 at 7.40.46 AM.png

Does that help?

Apr 20, 2011 5:31 AM (in response to Jerrold Green1)

Note on Screen Shot: Click on the image to enlarge it.  Click on the "X" in the upper right corner to dismiss the enlargement.

Jerry

• Baltser Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Apr 20, 2011 6:56 AM (in response to Alexa M)

Thank you so much - that screen shot just made my day!!

• dimsum_sushi Calculating status...
    Apr 30, 2011 11:13 PM (in response to Alexa M)

Hi, I'm having the same problem as is described by the original poster and am in serious need of help!

However, I don't have anything which looks like the Chart Inspector which is posted by Jerrold Green1 above.  I am using Microsoft Excel 2008 for Mac, Version 12.2.9.  Where do I find the Chart Inspector?

• dimsum_sushi Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    May 1, 2011 12:09 AM (in response to Alexa M)

Never mind!  I just switched my spreadsheet to Numbers, and now it all makes sense...!  Thanks for your previous post--the screenshot in particular was really helpful.

• laughteraddict89 Calculating status...
    May 2, 2011 11:57 AM (in response to Jerrold Green1)

I am trying to add error bars to a graph too. However when I follow these steps...

"Select the range with the averages and Chart it. Select the series in the chart and in the Chart Inspector go to the Series Tab and expand the Advanced menu."

There is no option to expand to the advanced menu. I have Numbers 08' is this function not available?

Thanks

May 2, 2011 1:15 PM (in response to laughteraddict89)

Yes, you need an upgrade. It's worth it if you use charts a lot.

Jerry

• williamhltdudu Calculating status...
    Aug 13, 2011 12:05 AM (in response to Alexa M)

I know this question has been asked a long time ago... I am actually facing this problem.. But I thinking I have found another easier solution..

in the positive value: first enter the std error or std dev value, follow by comma, space then enter the std error or std value for the second bar. Now you have different std error/dev value for different column

do the same thing for the negative value....

Cheers

1 2 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.