Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HTML editor with syntax highlighting and UTF-8 support

In an ongoing effort to move our lives into the cloud and into our pockets (and as a part of an article series for a tech blog), me and a friend are trying to completely replace the need for computers with our iPhones.

In some ways, it is going splendidly (Documents to Go Premium + foldable bluetooth keyboard = all my writing needs as a journalist solved). In others, concessions have to be made (as a practicing musician, my options are a bit limited, but with the help of Xewton Music Studio, Multitrack DAW/NanoStudio, etc, I can at least lay down some basic tracks, create basic MIDI compositions, etc).

However, there is one area in where we’ve made no headway at all. My friend has the great misfortune of being blessed with logic 😉 , and therefore, unlike me, does honest programming and web app designing work. And as far as we know, there is not a single HTML/script editor with more than just the bare, basic functions in the app store.

What we need is this:

* Syntax highlighting
* Support for UTF-8
A built-in FTP editor would be a nice bonus, but is not essential.

We found one for the iPad, but when we contacted the company behind the app, they revealed no immediate plans for an iPhone version. (They felt coding on the iPhone was, at best, impractical, but they did concede the fact that if there are indeed users who have that need, the existence of an iOS HTML editor would be justified, and possible lucrative, regardless of their feelings on the matter. On that ground, they promised to examine the possibilities to port their iPad app in the future, but so far, no signs.)

Does anyone know of such an app? Rest assured your assistance will be mentioned in the article series should you point us in the right direction 😉

MacBook Pro 2.16 GHz Intel Duo Core, Mac OS X (10.4.10), 2 GB of RAM, X1600 256mb, 120 GB 5400 RPM harddrive,

Posted on Mar 7, 2011 2:46 AM

2 replies

HTML editor with syntax highlighting and UTF-8 support

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.