Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Enable VT-d support

Hi,

I would like to use the virtualization technology for directed I/O (VT-d) provided by the Intel Core i7 in my new MacBook Pro 15" early 2011: http://www.intel.com/technology/itj/2006/v10i3/2-io/7-conclusion.htm

I can see that VT-x is enabled by default, but VT-d is disabled. Is there any way to enable VT-d?

I know that this might be unsupported, but would like to test it anyway 🙂

Macbook Pro 15" early 2011, VT-x and VT-d

Posted on Mar 8, 2011 7:40 AM

8 replies

Mar 15, 2011 4:22 AM in response to -ctr-

I've just contacted support and opened a "feature request" to bring VT-d with the next EFI update and also filed a feedback form here:
http://www.apple.com/feedback/

I suggest that everyone else who is looking for VT-d support also does one of the above.

Parallels and VMWare already support VT-d on their server prodcuts and I assume they will introduce VT-d on their mainstream products as soon as there is hardware support for it. This is a great benefit for virtualization and could also bring some security improvements with upcoming Thunderbolt support (see http://erratasec.blogspot.com/2011/02/thunderbolt-introducing-new-way-to-hack.ht ml)

Jul 25, 2011 7:55 AM in response to Status2000

Discussion is being a while ago, however I was also investigation into VT-d support for Mac Book Pro / Mac Mini 2011 models and crossed few times on this article. So I think it worth's an update with my findings.

On the beginning of my "journey" I didn't exactly review what benefits VT-d would provide. So here is the deal:

While some configuration with i5/i7 have in theory support for VT-d, the current used chipset doesn't (HM65). I have a MBP from 2010 with the HM55 chipset, which as of ark intel page support it, but it is "bios" disabled. Nothing that could be changed without Apple releasing an EFI update to enable it. But since the newer Models don't have a chipset supporting this feature, I guess it is not likely they will ever release one.

In the other hand, the VT-d feature is used to "passthru" e.g. PCI devices to your guests. On a MacBook Pro 15" nor on the latest Mac Mini there is an PCI(e) express slot available that would make this feature interesting. Allocating any existing hardware to your guest would be academic fun to play with, but no real use case.

For e.g. Mac Pro there is an update available to enable VT-d (if the hardware has VT-d) which btw makes sense, since you can mount additional hardware into your Mac that you might want to dedicate to your virtual guess session. But for Notebooks and MiniMac's, honestly I don't see any advantage having this feature as long there is no expansion slot for e.g. storage or graphic cards that could be dedicated your vm guest(s).

-Xatru

Aug 11, 2011 11:53 PM in response to xatru

How about the growing base of clientside bare metal hypervisors which let you run multiple side by side operating systems faster with more direct hardware access.

Check out any one of a number of postings about things like XenClient (tech2 preview is available) or just people running something like Debian with Xen 4 and using VT-d to run side by side machines (admittedly those are more desktop oriented). XenClient though and it's competitors are going to be pushing clientside baremetal pretty hard in the future because network VDI is horrid.

Just think. Buy a mac casue you want to use it. Put on XenClient. Have Lion running side by side with your companies locked down Winbloze image. I know you can say unity/spaces etc. The speed comparions bely those arguments.

--joe

Enable VT-d support

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.