6 Replies Latest reply: Mar 14, 2011 10:33 AM by BDAqua
studioduck Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)
Is there any way I can create a custom shut down message? We have a recording studio and I want to create a list of to-do items the user sees that they must accomplish before attempting to shutdown the computer and studio. Is this possible?

Would be for a G5 (Desktop) Quad 2.5ghz OS 10.4.11.

MBP 2.83 Ghz, G5 quad 2.5Ghz, MBP 2.16Ghz, G4 Mirror Doors 1.25Ghz, Mac OS X (10.5.8)
  • 1. Re: Create custom shutdown message?
    Limnos Level 8 Level 8 (38,420 points)
    [Post with script for shutdown items|http://hintsforums.macworld.com/showpost.php?p=294511&postcount=13]

[http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1171111&tstart=6990]
  • 2. Re: Create custom shutdown message?
    BDAqua Level 10 Level 10 (116,475 points)
    Impressive finds, thanks!
  • 3. Re: Create custom shutdown message?
    Thanks so much for the links. I searched but could not find anything like this. However, I'm still thinking this could not help my problem. I'm a bit of a noob in scripting/terminal use, so I'm not sure but what I think I need is to actually change/alter the shutdown message to tell the user a list of actions that should be done (not even related to the computer necessarily but to the shutdown sequence of the recording studio overall). The more I dig into this the more this seems unreasonable and impossible. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Thanks for the help,

Greg
  • 4. Re: Create custom shutdown message?
    Greg, it appears not only doable, but simple, it looks like the "what to do on shutdown" just needs to be replaced with listing your list.
  • 5. Re: Create custom shutdown message?
    Thanks BDAqua, so me being a big noob at this, I would create a file with this?:

#!/bin/sh

. /etc/rc.common

StartService ()
    {
    # what to do on boot (can be empty)
    }

StopService ()
    {
    # Please power down master fader on mixing console.
    }

RunService "$1"

I just add what I want the user to do there?

In the thread he says "place a file of the same name as the directory...". I am unsure of how to do this or exactly what this means. I create a folder with a name, then create a file with the same name as the folder, and the file must be an executable file? I don't know how to create an executable. :/

Then I create a text file called "StartupParameters.plist" with the following script:

{
    Description = "Name of your service goes here";
    Provides = ("Whatever your service provides goes here");
    Uses = ("Disks");
    }

The "Description" and "Provides" scripts, are these arbitrary? Just descriptions or do I need to give some kind of script direction here.

Again, you can see my noob-ness, but thanks for helping!

Greg
  • 6. Re: Create custom shutdown message?
    I just add what I want the user to do there?

Yes, but remove the # in front of # Please power down master fader on mixing console, which comments out that line.

It looks even easier to use an AppleScript...

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=7088514&#7088514

Create a 'Stay Open' AppleScript app containing only a quit handler (i.e. no idle handler):

on quit
    say "Please power down master fader on mixing console."
    continue quit
    end quit