Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Questions about upgrading the hardware on a 13" MacBook Pro (HD & Ram)

So I'm going away to college in the Fall (Penn State!) and have decided on the new 13" MacBook Pro with the i5 processor. I plan on purchasing 2x4GB Ram and doing the install myself. I'm also thinking about a hard drive and that's where I need some help...

First off, what brand would you recommend? If I upgrade the HD it would probably be to 500 or 750GB. RPMs? Now, if I do this right after I purchase the MBP, I'm not really worrying about backing up files, just instal the HD and then install the OS...correct?

I'll probably end up getting the 500GB from Apple, but if I chose to upgrade later down the road, can I restore all my files from a Time Machine backup?

So I'm definitely upgrading the memory and would love any brand suggestions or places to look for it!

Thanks in advance!

2011 13" MacBook Pro i5, Mac OS X (10.6.6), Upgrading memory and hard drive

Posted on Mar 8, 2011 10:15 AM

3 replies

Mar 8, 2011 10:47 AM in response to Sharkey13

x2 on macsales.com

I would stick with Western Digital for the HDD or try one of the SSDs from macsales, if you can afford it 😉

the faster rpm, in theory, will give you a bit better performance. not sure on what all you will be working on but unless you are doing media production, it shouldn't make a lot of difference either way. I opt for the faster rpms beings the SSD is still spendy for me & I need it for working on video.

Apr 8, 2011 8:54 PM in response to Sharkey13

I just upgraded the hard drive in my 2010 13" MacBook Pro. I read lots of reviews before I chose a Hitachi 750 GB @ 5400 RPM. I have several WD external drives that have been very reliable, but went with Hitachi because that's the brand that shipped with my Mac. I chose 5400 RPM because I wanted a quiet, cool drive more than a fast drive, and I read that some faster drives can run a bit hotter and noisier. I ordered it from OWC as part of a kit that includes the screwdrivers you need as well as an external drive case to use when you format the new drive, install the OS, and migrate your data. You can also use the case to install your old drive and use it as external storage after you've swapped the drives.

The way OWC said to do it, which is the way i did it, is to format the new drive, install Mac OS X, and transfer your data with the new drive connected to your Mac as an external drive using USB (Firewire would be faster but I think you'd need the cable with an adapter for the new drive). Apple and OWC both recommend using Migration Assistant, so you're treating the new drive as if it were a new computer, and then migrating your data from your current hard drive to the new one. I thought it would be a Time Machine restore, but that isn't what they recommend, though it may be possible. OWC has a very thorough list of all the steps to follow to format the new drive, install OS X from the DVD, transfer your data, and upgrade the OS:

http://eshop.macsales.com/articles/how-to-transfer-your-data-from-your-old-drive -to-a-new-drive

Then you swap our the drives. OWC has a series of videos that show exactly how to install the new hard drive, and they have a separate video for every MacBook model, by size, processor, and year. Be sure to view this ahead of time.

So far, the Hitachi is running just as quietly and cool as the 320 GB drive that shipped with my Mac, so I'm happy.

I'm also looking at upgrading my RAM to 8 GB, and am debating between OWC's RAM or Crucial from Newegg.

Hope this helps!

Questions about upgrading the hardware on a 13" MacBook Pro (HD & Ram)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.