Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

After Effects CS5 Not Deleting Existing Files

Since upgrading to AE5, I am receiving an error message "AE unable to delete existing file" when trying to overwrite an existing rendered movie with the same file name. Before switching to AE5 from AE4, I was able to make changes in AE and export over the existing file and roundtrip back to FCP, now I have to delete the exported movie file from my drives, export again and reconnect in FCP.

Is this a preference setting in AE?

Is this a preference setting in FCP?

Mac Pro 2X2.26GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon, Mac OS X (10.6.4), 16GB 1066MHz DDR3

Posted on Mar 9, 2011 10:27 AM

3 replies

Dec 28, 2013 1:33 AM in response to Neirbost

I was having the same problem too..... trying to overwrite a file in after effects for a Final Cut Pro project.

I found that if I tabbed away from my FCP project sequence.... over to an empty sequence (or a different sequence) BEFORE trying to render my after effects clips, After effects would let me overwrite the old movie file with the new one...(saving it over the old file with the same name)

Then, (after the composition was rendered) I simply went back to FCP and "tabbed" back to the sequence for my project ....and the clip would automatically update....just like in the good old days

I guess when after effects sees the project file is open (over in FCP) it won't overwrite it until it no longer sees that FCP sequence

After Effects CS5 Not Deleting Existing Files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.