Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Change the WiFi SSID on Personal Hotspot

Is is possible to change the SSID of the WiFI personal Hotspot to be something other than my phones name? I don't especially like broadcasting my name around for random people to see. I know i can change the phone name, but I'd rather not change that, and just have an independent SSID name

MacBook Pro 17" Intel Core i7, Mac OS X (10.6.6)

Posted on Mar 9, 2011 2:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 9, 2011 2:04 PM

The only way is to change your phone's name.
6 replies

Feb 22, 2013 2:19 AM in response to wjosten

Hi there,

It is a bit rediculous that Phone's name is actually a name of the SSID 🙂 I have the same SSID at home, at work and for all of my mobile devices. The passwords are the same so all my friends can use them without adding a one more entry into the list of hotspots. Do I need to change my SSID for all devices to ****'s iPhone or should I take stupid phone's name instead? It is a rhetorical question.

For me it is just a marketing so everyone see "***'s iPhone" SSID when is searching for the Wi-Fi hotspot. Many of customers even not recognized that their names ***** have been silvently turned into "****'s iPhone" 🙂

Hope that Apple will resolve this later in the next FW releases.

Change the WiFi SSID on Personal Hotspot

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.