Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AirDisk

Hello,
I have multiple mac computers (Macbook pro, a <acbook, and an imac) set up on a wireless network through an airport extreme. Each mac has lots of music, movies and pictures that I'd like all in one place so I bought a 2TB hard drive and hooked it up to the extreme. Now, I can figure out how to get my itunes and iphoto (actually aperture) stuff on there and how to share it wirelessly (if someone knows of a concise, easy to follow guide for both or either and wants to point me in the right direction that would be great). What I can't figure out is the backup situation. Basically, I'd like it so that when I hook up my digital camera or download a movie or some music with one computer for it all to go onto that hard drive. Each computer would have access and if you clicked on my latest music download on any computer it would start playing on that computer. Right now I back up with another partitioned hard drive with a usb cable. Each computer has it's own backup on it's own partition. Really the wifi hard drive or airdisk is about consolidation but it seems to lose security. Should I keep all of the music, movies and pictures on my macbook pro hard drive as well and then back that up or is there a better way? What would be nice is if I could backup the wifi hard drive somehow on another hard drive (wireless or not, I don't care - I've read about the issues with wireless time machine backups). Thanks for the help.

Macbook Pro

Posted on Mar 9, 2011 3:19 PM

3 replies

Mar 9, 2011 4:17 PM in response to moosemorrised2

moosemorrised2 wrote:
. . .
What would be nice is if I could backup the wifi hard drive somehow on another hard drive (wireless or not, I don't care - I've read about the issues with wireless time machine backups).

Like many backup apps, Time Machine cannot back up from any network location.

It can back up to some network locations, but an AirDisk on an Airport Extreme is "iffy" and +*not supported by Apple.+* See [Using Time Machine with an Airport Extreme Air Disk|http://web.me.com/pondini/Time_Machine/Airport.html] (or use the link in *User Tips* at the top of this forum).

I've not used it, but the Chronosync app ($40 U.S.) may work for your purposes.

Mar 10, 2011 10:35 AM in response to Pondini

I've found several good guides for airdisk storage of itunes and aperture at maclife.com. It seems the best way to do this is to move everything over (after backing it up) to the airdisk and then option click dragging them back into your individual computers. I'm still not clear on how to get your new music and photos directly into the airdisk or how to back up the airdisk itself. I may have to put everything on my macbook pro and then back that up. Basically, I would have all of my media that I want backed up in two locations with all three computers accessing it off of the airdisk but have the media also on my macbook pro and back that up. Can you plug in a camera or download an album off of itunes and have it automatically saved in two locations?

Mar 10, 2011 10:47 AM in response to moosemorrised2

moosemorrised2 wrote:
. . .
I'm still not clear on . . . how to back up the airdisk itself.

As long as it's on a network, Time Machine (and most backup apps) can't.

I may have to put everything on my macbook pro and then back that up.

That'll work, of course.

Can you plug in a camera or download an album off of itunes and have it automatically saved in two locations?

Not via Time Machine: it's one destination at a time. There are some scripts around to swap destinations periodically. They have a tendency to break on OSX upgrades, though.
See: Leopard: http://www.gearz.de/howto/OSX5/changeTMvol-sh-X5 Snow Leopard: http://www.gearz.de/howto/OSX5/changeTMvol-sh-X6

However, a better solution all around is to use a different app. See #27 in [Time Machine - Frequently Asked Questions|http://web.me.com/pondini/Time_Machine/FAQ.html] (or use the link in *User Tips* at the top of the +Time Machine+ forum) for some suggestions.

AirDisk

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.