Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Personal Hotspot works on iPhone 3GS but ..

According to many news reports that only iPhone 4 has this feature. However, after the update of IOS 4.3, my iPhone 3GS can share the wireless network via bluetooth or USB (but not WiFi) with my iPad

MacPro3,1 Quad-Core, 27" LED, 24" iMac, 13" MacBook Pro and 3GS iPhone, Mac OS X (10.6.5), I am just a user like you who enjoy helping others.

Posted on Mar 9, 2011 5:55 PM

17 replies

Mar 9, 2011 6:26 PM in response to Mitch 751

Confirmed. And *****!

So what's the point of having the "Personal Hotspot" feature in the 3GS?
Before the upgrade, we were able "Tether" via Bluetooth and USB anyways...I feel like there is a dummy button on the 3GS, which does nothing.

Might as well call it the "HOO AHH" button with the ON/OFF switch.

Apple, is this your way of hinting at the 3GS owners to go and buy the iPhone4?

Mar 9, 2011 7:05 PM in response to Mitch 751

I was hoping the the 3GS would have the "real" WiFi Hotspot feature fully enabled because I am contemplating on getting the iPad2 in the future.

I would like the option of getting just the WiFi model for of the iPad2, but now it seems I may need to get the iPad WiFi with 3G. The extra cost associated may just dash my hopes for getting the iPad2.

Mar 9, 2011 7:10 PM in response to indothai

Hi mitch,

You mean to say, iPhone 3GS "tethering" is now enabled for iPad? I'm thinking of getting an iPad WiFi only but I don't know if my iPhone 3GS can share its unlimited data connection to the WiFi iPad. Bluetooth connection is fine with me but I wan't to make sure it's now enabled for the 3GS.

Mar 9, 2011 8:23 PM in response to indothai

I have already tried 2 laptops connected to my 3GS via bluetooth. So i assume you can do 1, and combinations 1&2 and 1&3. Needs validation though (don't have bluetooth headset atm, you can try with yours though).

Personal hotspot enables up to 3 bluetooth devices to connect to the internet.

Mar 10, 2011 6:49 AM in response to bailey#70

And I just answered my own question using a 4th gen iPod.

First I tried doing a simple Bluetooth pairing between the iPhone 3GS and the iPod, this didn't work. Turn on Personal Hotspot though and the devices pair straight away, the Personal Hotspot icon replaces the Wifi icon on the iPod and you're away!

Thank you Apple! Instead of spending all that money on a 3G enabled iPad and a SIM card that I may never use, instead I can get the bigger Wifi-only version and just pay my carrier the £5 per month tethering charge if I really need to use it!

Mar 10, 2011 4:40 PM in response to epot

epot wrote:
You mean to say, iPhone 3GS "tethering" is now enabled for iPad? I'm thinking of getting an iPad WiFi only but I don't know if my iPhone 3GS can share its unlimited data connection to the WiFi iPad. Bluetooth connection is fine with me but I wan't to make sure it's now enabled for the 3GS.

yes, I can confirm this works with iPhone 3GS and iOS 4.3

Note: for this to work, the iPad must also be updated to iOS 4.3
with iPad and 4.2, you can't pair over BT to the iPhone, but after updating the iPad it works.

Personal Hotspot works on iPhone 3GS but ..

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.