1 2 3 Previous Next 748 Replies Latest reply: Oct 7, 2011 1:27 PM by asenna
richardc1983 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
Hey guys

iOS 4.3 is causing poor battery performance. Went to bed at 5am this morning and 6 hours later battery has dropped from 100 to 93%. No apps or we pages are running and it had a reboot since I restored the phone rather than just updated.

Before battery would drain at 1% every 5mins when in wifi. Now it's more like every 2 mins with a bigger drain when on standby and not doing anything.

Anyone else noticed it? Have I done something wrong?

I have posted this over on another forum and it has received quite a few responses from people having the same problem...

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=12104678&posted=1#post12104678

null

iOS 4
  • 1. Re: iOS 4.3 causing battery drain
    iinami Level 4 Level 4 (1,400 points)
    sorry, i haven't noticed it right this point. i updated mine last night at 5:10 pm est and the battery was 100%. i've been on the web with 3g a bit since then and did not turn it off at all, it's now 7:50 am est and my battery is still at 96%.
  • 2. Re: iOS 4.3 causing battery drain
    Alx2011 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Same issue here , updated to iOS 4.3 last night, 100% at 8am, and down to 20% about 10 hours later, only sent 2 sms and 10 mins online nothing else ..... Drain drain drain
  • 3. Re: iOS 4.3 causing battery drain
    AndrewOrr Level 1 Level 1 (30 points)
    I've noticed a significant battery drain in my iPhone 4 as well.

I just did a test today to confirm. All Push notifications off, location services off, killed any apps running in the background and I'm in a good signal zone. I took my iPhone off the charger at 1:00pm EST at 100% charge. It's now 3:25, I've used my phone to compose to SMS messages and the battery is at 76%.

I've tried resetting all of my settings and noticed the same drain. This is a significant problem on my phone. I've read a lot of similar reports.
  • 4. Re: iOS 4.3 causing battery drain
    Tim Kippen Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    I'm seeing poor battery life as well. Does the whole "clear out all the settings and install iOS 4.3 as a new phone" fix this problem?
  • 5. Re: iOS 4.3 causing battery drain
    mmcgeary Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Tim Kippen wrote:
    I'm seeing poor battery life as well. Does the whole "clear out all the settings and install iOS 4.3 as a new phone" fix this problem?

That was my procedure and I'm seeing some pretty huge battery drains vs regular usage on 4.2.1. These things are a little subjective though, so I'm willing to give it a few days before the freaking out begins.
  • 6. Re: iOS 4.3 causing battery drain
    Topopardo Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
  • 7. Re: iOS 4.3 causing battery drain
    modular747 Level 6 Level 6 (16,495 points)
    Increased battery drain has been reported after EVERY update for the last 3 1/2 years. It's 100% predicable there will be a flurry of posts about the battery life after every update. It's also 100% predicable that the people posting didn't do ANY troubleshooting steps.

The problem isn't the iOS version, but data/settings damage during the update process. It often involves push and Exchange mail accounts that need to be reinstalled.

1. Reset phone - press both home and sleep/wake buttons until the Apple logo appears.
    2. Close all apps appearing in the Recent opened bar (aka "multitasking" bar)/
    3. If you have Exchange accounts, delete and reinstall them.
    4. Restore phone in iTunes using a backup.
    5. Restore in iTunes as new, without using a backup.
  • 8. Re: iOS 4.3 causing battery drain
    TechFrenzy Level 1 Level 1 (15 points)
    And so it begins....
  • 9. Re: iOS 4.3 causing battery drain
    OhitsuDave Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    You'd think you wouldn't have to wipe your phone for every update. I had my phone completely drain itself last night from a full charge, to 6 hours later to dead. I hadnt picked up the phone at all since I was sleeping. That's not just imagining things.

I killed apps, I reset the phone, I deleted and reset up all of my exchange accounts. I hope it works.
  • 10. Re: iOS 4.3 causing battery drain
    Well I think that apple need to resolve this asap. Its coming up on a lot of forums.

I have even deleted and added my email accounts again but the same again!
  • 11. Re: iOS 4.3 causing battery drain
    KC7GNM Level 4 Level 4 (2,720 points)
    Oh god here we go with the battery drain threads. Mine is just the same as it was under 4.2.1 and dropping only 7% means you had an app running that was more than likely your culprit and not 4.3.
  • 12. Re: iOS 4.3 causing battery drain
    KC7GNM Level 4 Level 4 (2,720 points)
    richardc1983 wrote:
    Well I think that apple need to resolve this asap. Its coming up on a lot of forums.

I have even deleted and added my email accounts again but the same again!

It comes up every time there is an update and like modular said the folks that are whining about it never troubleshoot before complaining here.
  • 13. Re: iOS 4.3 causing battery drain
    Yeh I have done all the trouble shooting and still the same.

What do you suggest next?
  • 14. Re: iOS 4.3 causing battery drain
    Tim Kippen Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Doing the Home|On|Apple reset and Exchange Account Delete and recycle appears to have fixed it for me. I think I remember having to do this last time as well.

I appreciate the help. I do think that people's expectations of a trouble-free upgrade are reasonable in that most Apple stuff just works.
1 2 3 Previous Next