5 Replies Latest reply: Mar 10, 2011 11:34 AM by Beavis2084
davidnave Level 1 Level 1 (10 points)
trying to find a way to hide the artist name and album title in grid view. i have all the album covers, so having the name under each one seems redundant.

i've looked for a preference for this, but view options is disabled in grid view.

i figure i need to edit the com.apple.itunes in terminal, but can't find the appropriate tag.

i'd classify this as an aesthetic annoyance, and any advice/speculation would be welcome.

macbook, Mac OS X (10.6.6), itunes 10.2
  • Beavis2084 Level 4 Level 4 (2,850 points)
    The "View Options..." IS where you want to make this change.

Ensure that you are selecting the "Music" item in your library at the left and also that Grid View is selected (far left icon in the group of 4, located to the right of the status window at the top of the iTunes main window).

From there, you should be able to command-J (or select from the "Advanced" pull-down menu to engage the "View Options" dialogue box. On there, you can select what columns are shown in Grid View.

Is this not working? You mentioned the option was "disabled", is it greyed out?

Have you run a "Repair Permissions" from Disk Utility lately? It might help.
  • turingtest2 Level 9 Level 9 (58,290 points)
    To the best of my knowledge those text fields are not optional.

tt2
    I just did it, no problem. No artist or album is in my current grid view.
  • davidnave Level 1 Level 1 (10 points)
    i'm looking at the grid view, 3rd item in the group of 4 (option + command + 5, "as grid" from view menu) which displays just the artwork with the artist and album listed underneath each.

the "view options" is greyed out only in grid view; everywhere else (list, album list and coverflow) i can set what i want to see.

now that you mention it, i have repaired the permissions on the disk. i don't think it's a setting you can modify using the options provided.
    Sorry.. my fault. I didn't realize that they call the display with all the album art "grid view". I always refereed to the "list" as a grid. Sorry. Yes, it appears that you can't change what is displayed in that view, like at all.