Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

pmset and gpuswitch

I was wondering if anyone knew anything more about the gpuswitch option available in pmset.
By default, GPUSwitch appears to be set to '2' in the hardware profile and when invoking the +pmset -g+ command from the terminal.

What I want to do is have integrated graphics only when running on the battery with automatic switching turned off, and the default switching behaviour only active when on AC wall power.
sudo pmset -b gpuswitch <value for integrated only>
sudo pmset -c gpuswitch <vale for automatic switching - 2?>

Anyone know the correct values to use?
2 = both GPUs?
1 = Discrete?
0 = Integrated?
The man pages have not yet been updated with this information and was just wondering if anyone has experimented with it and found something that works.

Cheers!

EDIT: 2011 2.0GHz i7 MacBook Pro

Message was edited by: benanderson

27" 2.93GHz i7 iMac - 15" i7 2.0GHz MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.6)

Posted on Mar 10, 2011 9:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 12, 2011 7:12 PM

benanderson wrote:
What I want to do is have integrated graphics only when running on the battery with automatic switching turned off, and the default switching behaviour only active when on AC wall power.

If all you're trying to do is to control the behavior of your Mac, you might find this article useful:

http://db.tidbits.com/article/11982
2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 12, 2011 7:12 PM in response to benanderson

benanderson wrote:

If all you're trying to do is to control the behavior of your Mac, you might find this article useful:

http://db.tidbits.com/article/11982

pmset and gpuswitch

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.