Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is there a Numbers equivalent to Excel's "Text to Columns"?

I am new to Numbers 09. In Excel I often need to take large amounts of ASCII text data, with hundreds or even thousands of line, paste the data into Column A, then use the "Text to Columns" utility to parse the data into separate columns for further manipulation, calculation, or graphing. Is there a similar process available in Numbers?

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.5.8), iPhone 4

Posted on Mar 10, 2011 6:25 PM

7 replies

Mar 10, 2011 6:42 PM in response to Peter Bowditch

Peter,

No, nothing like Text to Columns in Numbers. You can use formulas to parse the lines into columns, or you can use Find and Replace to substitute Tabs for Spaces which will split columns at every space if you then Cut and Paste again, or you can start in Pages or Text Edit and do substitutions there and then bring it to Numbers with tabs at your column breaks. But, no Wizard-like parser in Numbers.

Jerry

Jul 2, 2011 1:37 PM in response to Peter Bowditch

I found a way to accomplish this, assuming you also have iWork “Pages” available.

Paste your delimited text into a blank"Pages" document. Do a Find / Replace on your delimiting character (comma or whatever) and replace it with a tab character.

To do this, use Edit > Find > Find... and choose “Advanced” (at the top of the pop-up). Your delimiter goes in the Find text box. Then use the “Insert” pull-down menu to set the Replace text to “Tab.” It puts a little arrow symbol into the text box.

Your original text probably has line breaks already. But if it has a separate delimiter instead, you can convert them into the required line breaks in the same way, using Find/Replace to "Paragraph Break.". Hopefully the same delimiter is not used for both row and column breaks in your data.

Now copy/paste that text from Pages into a single cell in Numbers and it should break it into columns and rows.

MS Office for Mac isn’t that expensive. After this ordeal I’ve ordered a copy.

Jul 2, 2011 2:36 PM in response to davemca

Dave,

What you have suggested here is essentially what I proposed in my first response to Peter above.

You will probably be much happier in MS Office because if this rather small hurdle seems troublesome to you, you will no doubt find many other differences that you have difficulty accepting. iWork has a much slimmer feature set than Office. That's a plus to many users, and a turn-off to others.

Jerry

Is there a Numbers equivalent to Excel's "Text to Columns"?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.