6 Replies Latest reply: Sep 2, 2011 8:50 AM by dlawseth
mgshoutman Level 1 Level 1 (20 points)
I have the following problem since the iOS 4.3 update on 2 iPads and 1 iPhone 3GS. (no problem on iPhones 4)

If I attach device to iTunes and start syncing, everything seems synced except the bookmarks. I get either messages:

'iTunes could not sync bookmarks to the iPad "name" because an error occured while merging data.'

'iTunes could not sync bookmarks to the iPad "name" because the bookmarks are in use bu the iPhone.'

If I do a second sync - without stopping iTunes - the bookmarks are synced.

Any idea how to solve this ?

Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, MacBook Pro 2,6 GHz and MacBook Pro 2,4 GHz, Mac OS X (10.6.6)
  • cmorey Level 1 Level 1 (55 points)
    I'm getting:
    "iTunes could not sync bookmarks to the ipad "__" because the bookmarks are in use by the iPad"

-and in small small type under the error message:

"Close the bookmarks setting on the iPad, then sync again"
  • mgshoutman Level 1 Level 1 (20 points)
    oops mada typo:

'iTunes could not sync bookmarks to the iPad "name" because the bookmarks are in use bu the iPhone.'

should be

'iTunes could not sync bookmarks to the iPad "name" because the bookmarks are in use bu the iPad.'

a few days later, the problem seems not so frequent after directly updating to iOS 4.3
  • DJDiva5 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Every single time I sync my iphone 4 or my ipad I get that same error - "could not sync bookmarks to the iphone/ipad because the bookmarks are in use - close the bookmarks settings then sync again"

What are the bookmarks settings? how do I get this to sync again?
  • Bill Melater Level 1 Level 1 (10 points)

I've just had the same problem with my iPhone 4. This worked for me:

On your iPhone/iPad, quit Safari. (Press and hold the On/Off/Sleep/Wake button until you see the application's red Quit button appear.)

Go to settings>Safari and scroll to the bottom.

Press all three buttons: Clear Cookies, Clear Cache, Clear History.

Then,for good measure, use your customary syncing procedure to replace the Bookmarks file with whatever Bookmarks you are syncing your device with.

• mlo55 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Thanks Bill, I had the same issue on my iPhone 3GS (after upgrading to ios5 beta 4).

Your suggestion of clearing the cookies, cache and history (in Settings->Safari)  worked for me,

cheers,

Michael

• dlawseth Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I have the same problem, but it was after buying a new Mac and setting up syncs.  The bookmarks from the iPad disappeared and were not syncing through MobileMe, although it is working on my iPhone 4, so I turned of the MM sync and tried iTunes.  After trying just about everything suggested in this thread (hard boot, clearing caches etc, shutting off all multi-tasking, getting rid of the Mozilla app, and so on) when I sync with iTunes I still get the message: "iTunes could not sync bookmarks to the iPad xxxx because the bookmarks are in use by the iPad."

How does one shut down whatever is using the bookmarks?

Don