Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

App audio not working after iOS 4.3 update

I have lost audio in about 75% of my apps. It works in some (iPod, Uno, Soundhound, YouTube) and not at all in others (TED, Air Hockey, Reuters News app, EyeTV, Aweditorium). I've restarted the iPad, synced it, made sure the mute switch is off (and it's set to rotation lock anyway), updated all my apps. Nothing changed.

When I'm in the apps with no audio, pressing the volume toggle has no effect (i.e., there's no audio the volume graphic doesn't appear, and no sliders within the app move). Also, in ones such as EyeTV, the in-app volume control is not accessible.

iOS 4

Posted on Mar 11, 2011 5:11 AM

29 replies

Mar 13, 2011 1:46 PM in response to Maestoso

I experience the same problem with my iPad and a number of applications since upgrading to iOS 4.3: GlobalTV Video, CityTv, Air Video, VLC (no longer supported). I haven't tried EyeTV yet, but I assume this to be a contender for being broken, too.
The odd thing is that at least one application (Air Video) works just fine on my iPhone 4.

When I check on different forums, it looks to me like Apple dropped support for some audio codecs - Mabel just for some platforms? - which could explain this behaviour. But even then, that be very poor quality control to nor include some of those apps into a QA process.

My guess is that we'll have to hope and wait for the applications to get updated or for a next iOS release...

Mar 13, 2011 1:51 PM in response to Maestoso

Maestoso wrote:
I have lost audio in about 75% of my apps. It works in some (iPod, Uno, Soundhound, YouTube) and not at all in others (TED, Air Hockey, Reuters News app, EyeTV, Aweditorium). I've restarted the iPad, synced it, made sure the mute switch is off (and it's set to rotation lock anyway), updated all my apps. Nothing changed.

You do know, don't you, that the mute function still exists? Double tap the home button and scroll all the way to the left. Toggle the mute icon.

Mar 13, 2011 1:56 PM in response to Djorge

Quick update on this because I found a workaround for Aweditorium: the sound wasn't working after launching the app. But after hitting the "HD" button and watching the video on YouTube (and switching briefly the output to an ATV2), the audio as well as the volume controls were working just fine.

So that means it's not a codec issue, just some iOS API / app usage bug?!

Mar 13, 2011 3:03 PM in response to Djorge

I think you may not completely understand the function. YouTube isn't supposed to be muted. The purpose is to mute system sounds such as email and push notifications so that you can watch videos or listen to music without unpleasant interruptions. I find game sounds being muted is also useful if I'm playing games in public areas.

Glad it helped.

Mar 14, 2011 1:30 PM in response to IdrisSeabright

Sorry, Meg, but this is definitely a software bug. It IS related to the mute function, though. More specifically, I experimented last night, and if I set the switch to lock rotation rather than mute sound (which is how I would prefer to have it), I get no sound on certain apps, even though they're set so that their internal sound setting is on, and I have rocked the volume up as far as it'll go, while *others work just fine.* Right there: bug.

Further, if I go back to the settings and change the option for the switch so that it mutes the sound rather than locking the rotation, presto! Those same apps work just fine, sound and all.

This issue is very clearly a bug related to the setting for the side switch. Either that, or Apple is not so subtly trying to tell us that we really should use the switch as a mute, whether we want to or not.

Mar 15, 2011 4:38 AM in response to Maestoso

I have exactly the same problem as described here with an original iPad following the upgrade to 4.3.

I also have changed the settings so that the hardware switch acts as an orientation lock. Seems when Apple put this functionality back in as an option they left some loopholes - unless naughty applications check the switch directly and by pass the API?

I've also noticed this problem, or something similar, occur after synchronisation when I am tethered to my iMac. I notice this particularly in the iPod music app. The sound is muted and instead of a volume control the slider reads, "Dock Connector"? Only if I pull out the dock connector does my volume slider come back.

Mar 15, 2011 4:45 AM in response to rotarydoc

Played with it a bit more this morning and the only time I get sound is with it set to the mute switch and the mute turned off. Setting it to rotation lock gets me no sound at all from several apps. Looks to me like they only put the actual rotation lock functionality back in when they added it back as an option and left that option with a default mute setting.

Mar 16, 2011 9:28 PM in response to Maestoso

My locking sound and keyboard typing sounds were not working either. I figured something out. Try this. When programming the slider bottom to operate the lock orientation make sure you have the sound slider to the ON position. If you have it in the mute position your sounds will not work after you've finished programming the slider button to control the lock orientation.

App audio not working after iOS 4.3 update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.