Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. help pls!

Hello,

This is my first time using itunes! can someone help me please.
When i try to install the itunes, it prompted me a message that says

"There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A program required for this install to complete could not be run. Contact your support personnel or package vendor."

And i called up APPLE and they ask me to use the 6-steps uninstall mathod but i couldnt find any apple software update to uninstall so i ignore. and i tried downloading again and again but it stil doesnt works.

Can someone guide me how to install itunes?

Thank you so much

ACER, Windows Vista

Posted on Mar 11, 2011 6:38 AM

36 replies

Mar 11, 2011 7:00 AM in response to sereneczy

Do you have any of the 6 programs listed in the following link currently installed?
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1923
That is to say are any of them listed under Control Panel>>Programs.

If so try to uninstall them using the method in the link. Post any error message you receive doing this.

Download a fresh copy of the iTunes installer and save it on your PC.
http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/
Also download the version of Quicktime that does not include iTunes.
http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/win.html

We will try insatlling in phases once you let me know how you got on with the uninstalls.

DO you have 32 bit Vista? It is helpful to put that information in your sig.

Mar 11, 2011 7:14 AM in response to polydorus

Hi there,

Thank you so much for the reply.

I have got only 5 out of the 6 components.
3.Apple Software Update is not seen in my control panel.

I have uninstall the 5 components but when i try to install the itunes again, it is stil not available. and everytime there are only 5 components.

Is there anyway i could solve the problem? is it because i install it incorrectly?

Hope to hear from you soon again! 😀 😀 😀

Mar 11, 2011 7:47 AM in response to sereneczy

If I understand correctly, all the the programs install except Apple Software update.

Does that mean that Quicktime and iTunes install?
If so, can you run them?
If you don't see shortcuts for them, you can find iTunes.exe in Program Files iTunes
and QuicktimePlayer.exe in Program Files\Quicktime.
I am assuming you have 32 Vista. If it is 64 bit the files will be in Program Files(86)

Mar 11, 2011 8:09 AM in response to polydorus

i tried opening the folder from my c drive and it prompt me to change the permission of the security tab.

And after changing it, i could open the iTunes folders but when i tried to launch the iTunes from my desktop, it says that windows cannot access the specific device, path or file. you may not have the appropriate permission to access the item

Did i change the permission incorrectly or?

Message was edited by: sereneczy

Mar 11, 2011 8:09 AM in response to sereneczy

OK, so you don't have a working iTunes.

What I would like to do now is to try installing each iTunes component separately.

First uninstall the 5 iTunes programs that you have installed.

You should have iTunesSetup.exe saved in a folder on your PC, probably in the downloads folder. If not download and save it now.

Open the folder containing iTunessetup.exe with explorer.
Next open notepad and copy the following 3 lines into it.

md temp
itunessetup /extract temp
pause

Save the file as extract.bat into the same folder that contains the itunes installer.

Open the downloads folder and you should find the extract file that you saved. Double click on it and a black window will open telling you what it is doing. When its finished, press any key to continue.
You should find that a folder called temp has been created containing all the itunes msi files.

Install in this order by double clicking on them:
Apple Application Support
Bonjour
Apple Mobile Device Support
Apple Software Update
Quicktime
iTunes

If one of the installs fails, stop and post the error message in full. I am hoping that by doing this separately we will get a better error message.

Mar 11, 2011 8:12 AM in response to polydorus

i tried opening the folder from my c drive and it prompt me to change the permission of the security tab.

And after changing it, i could open the iTunes folders but when i tried to launch the iTunes from my desktop, it says that windows cannot access the specific device, path or file. you may not have the appropriate permission to access the item

Did i change the permission incorrectly or?

Okay, i will try the method provided, thank you very very much! and i will post the outcome again 😀

Mar 11, 2011 8:29 AM in response to sereneczy

Yes, it is probably because you changed permissions.

What exactly did you do?

The permissions in Program files\iTunes are quite complicated with the following accounts listed
CREATOR OWNER -special
SYSTEM -full control
Administrators -full control
users -read&Execute
Trusted installer -special
The owner is SYSTEM

Message was edited by: polydorus

Mar 11, 2011 8:51 AM in response to polydorus

okay, i right click on the properties of my iTunes and under its security tab, i have 4 group or user names:

CREATOR OWNER (its permission is empty except its special permissions which is ticked under the allow)
SYSTEM (everything is ticked except for the special permissions)
User (only read& execute, list folder contents, read are ticked)
Administrators (everything are ticked except for special permission)

and my owner is SYSTEM.

However, i cant delete the itunes folder nor launch the itune shortcut on the desktop at all

))):

"There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. help pls!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.