Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Piano roll edit?

So far I can't find a way to actually jiggle the notes around in a piano roll view. This would be a serious limitation if it does not have this. Anybody found a way to edit individual notes?

macbook pro, imac, ipod touch 2nd gen, Mac OS X (10.6.2)

Posted on Mar 11, 2011 12:42 PM

12 replies

Mar 19, 2011 10:50 AM in response to isteveus

One still needs a $500 computer, and GarageBand for the Mac has been in iLife for years now, and in the Mac App Store for $15.

It's not a question of Apple having done a bad job, it's the difference between someone playing with the app for an hour and never using it again or seeing it as a toy, and actually using it for an ongoing period of time.

As someone who uses the ability to manually sequence MIDI notes on the piano roll in GarageBand for Mac, I can tell you it's far easier to set up drums that way than it is to have to re-record them until you get them the way you want them.

Apple is very sparse with updates to their own iOS apps, so small things like this that limit the functionality are frustrating, especially when the app overall is incredible. The last 1% is where it all happens.

Apr 7, 2011 5:51 PM in response to Merula

glad to know i'm not insane on this one! I am a lapsed digital musician and had never used garageband in the past, but was swayed to pick up an Ipad2 since it could run garageband and do so much more.

A fantastic machine and program but ***?!!? without the ability to edit midi, what good is it if you can't play well on the touchscreen? seems like an easy feature to add that would make a world of difference in its usability.

also, the rigid/100% quantization could really use a strength setting.

pass it on.

Piano roll edit?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.