Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Aperture 3.1.1 Support for RW2 Panasonic Lumix FZ-40 RAW format

1. I shot in BOTH JPG+RAW setting. Then imported in Aperture 3.1.1 with setting of BOTH RAW+JPG with RAW as MASTER. Import Completed.
When I look for the photos, some have come in as JPG (I believe that at least some of these may have been taken as JPG only). However, most are showing as "UNSUPPORTED FORMAT".
Software is up to date. RAW Comp Update 3.6 applied before I started. Mac OSX 10.6.6 on MBP 17" Intel Core 2. Maxed RAM.
I purchased Aperture specifically for RAW support, RAW conversion and image touchup.
Really disappointed that Apple does not appear to support RW2.
Is there a plugin that will help?
I do not want complicated workflows like import in another app, then convert rW2 to something aperture will accept and then reimport the converted file into aperture as i have very limited time.

macbook pro intel, i7, Mac OS X (10.6.6)

Posted on Mar 11, 2011 1:46 PM

3 replies

Mar 20, 2011 6:39 PM in response to Frank Caggiano

That table lists FZ50 and FZ 100 but not FZ28 or FZ40. I do not know why Panasonic would have changed the file formats which all carry extension .RW2.
I do have Aperture 3.1.1 with Mac OSX 10.6.6. So that is not an issue.
The FZ100 uses a CMOS sensor that produces a very noisy image. So I stuck with FZ40 which uses an upgraded CCD from the FZ28 line.
Using DNG means an additional step.
I certainly hope that Apple supports the .RW2 format properly so that all the cameras using that are supported.

Mar 20, 2011 6:54 PM in response to breezy1

Just because a camera manufacturer keeps the same extension on its raw files from one model to the next doesn't mean that the format of the RAW file is the same. It most cases as newer models come out the format of the RAW files change to accommodate the improvements and added features.

You can send feedback to Apple see *Aperture->Provide Aperture Feedback*

Aperture 3.1.1 Support for RW2 Panasonic Lumix FZ-40 RAW format

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.