Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Original iPad User Guide for iOS 4.3?

I've updated my iPad (and iPhone 3GS) to iOS 4.3. I then went to http://support.apple.com/manuals to download the latest User Guides for iOS 4.3. I found one for the iTouch, 1 for the iPhone, and 1 for the iPad 2. However, an iOS 4.3 User Guide for the Original iPad is not to be found. Has anyone else found it? If so, please post a link. Thanks.

Active: iMac (G5, G4), PB G4, iPad, iPhone, iPod, MP2100 Retired: iMac G3, A2c, Mac OS X (10.5.8), Mac OS 10.4.11, Mac OS 9.2.2, iOS 4.2.1, Newton OS 2.1

Posted on Mar 11, 2011 3:50 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 11, 2011 3:52 PM

The 4.3 Guide has not yet been published.
13 replies

Mar 11, 2011 4:57 PM in response to igmackenzie

As I mentioned in my original post, that is the User Guide for the iPad 2. I'm looking for the version for my ORIGINAL iPad, a.k.a. iPad 1. The title at support.apple.com/manuals is: *iPad 2 User Guide (For iOS 4.3 Software)*

I've downloaded BOTH the PDF version from the above web address and the ePub version from the iBookStore. Neither of them seem to address what works on the iPad 1 vs. what works on the iPad 2. So far as I can tell, the only difference between iOS 4.2.1 and iOS 4.3 on the iPad 1 is the new option for the side switch. Of course I know that none of the camera-related or gyroscope-related features will work on the iPad 1.

Mar 11, 2011 5:19 PM in response to romad

http://manuals.info.apple.com/enUS/iPad_iOS4_UserGuide.pdf
This is the guide for 4.2 if that's what you're looking for.

http://manuals.info.apple.com/enUS/iPad_UserGuide.pdf
This one is for 3.2

It's the software version that the user guides reference. You can have the original iPad and still be running 3.2, 4.2 or 4.3. There is not a specific iPad 1 user guide per se.

I think you may be looking for the 4.2' the first link I typed above.

Message was edited by: Demo

Mar 11, 2011 8:40 PM in response to Demo

No, you misunderstood. Please read my initial post:

"I've updated my iPad (and iPhone 3GS) to iOS 4.3. I then went to http://support.apple.com/manuals to download the latest User Guides for iOS 4.3. I found one for the iTouch, 1 for the iPhone, and 1 for the iPad 2."

1. I HAVE updated my iPad 1 to iOS 4.3
2. http://support.apple.com/manuals lists the following User Guides for iOS 4.3:
A. iPod touch User Guide (For iOS 4.3 Software)
B. iPhone User Guide (For iOS 4.2 and 4.3 Software)
C. iPad 2 User Guide (For iOS 4.3 Software)
3. Note that while the iPhone & iPod Touch guides do not limit themselves as to the models covered, the guide for the iPad specifically states it is for "iPad 2"

Mar 12, 2011 5:01 AM in response to romad

Maybe I did misunderstand you but perhaps there will be no additional manual for the original iPad running 4.3. You just take the 4.3 updated manual and apply the instructions to the original iPad. There will be some things that don't apply to the original because the iPad2 is a new design, but Apple didn't radically change the way things work from 1 - 2. You just ignore the things that don't apply to iPad 1.

At this point I'm pretty sure you should know which instructions are specific for iPad2 if you use the 4.3 guide. The same software features apply to both models. You boot them the same way, you troubleshoot the same way and so on. It shouldn't be that big of a deal.

I buy devices all the time that come with generic instructions, written in four different languages, that apply to three or four different models. When I read those instructions I have to pay attention to the instructions that apply to my particular model - and ignore the rest. Those instruction manuals can be a nightmare to sift through. Apple makes their's pretty easy to read and navigate through.

BTW ... even though you refuse to believe it, the 3.2 and 4.2 guides ARE for your original iPad. There was no iPad 2 when this were published. This is your quote.

I'm looking for the version for my ORIGINAL iPad, a.k.a. iPad 1. The title at support.apple.com/manuals is: iPad 2 User Guide (For iOS 4.3 Software

Mar 12, 2011 10:31 AM in response to Demo

You persist in misreading.

My very FIRST line says: "I've updated my iPad (and iPhone 3GS) to _*iOS 4.3*_.

Let me explain what that means: it means that I connected my iPad (which I bought in April 2010) to iTunes 10.2 and let iTunes INSTALL the iOS 4.3 UPDATE on the iPad.

Now, since MY iPad does NOT have cameras or a gyroscope, I KNOW that iOS 4.3 features and apps dependent on that hardware will NOT work on MY iPad. I was trying to find out what CHANGES included in iOS 4.3 will work on MY iPad. So far I've found that there is ONE AND ONLY ONE such change: the option to use the switch on the side of the iPad for EITHER muting OR rotation-lock.

Thus I was looking for the manual that would have SPECIFICALLY stated what NEW/CHANGED features in iOS 4.3 applied to MY iPad. Since I previously had iOS 4.2.1 on MY iPad, and since the ONLY NEW or CHANGED feature of iOS 4.3 that OBVIOUSLY DOES work on MY iPad is the aforementioned switch, I no longer need to get an updated manual. I will just change the iOS 4.2 manual to reflect the switch option.

Mar 12, 2011 12:21 PM in response to romad

romad wrote:
You persist in misreading.

You say toe-MA-toe .... and I say toe-muh-toe. I know EXACTLY what you were saying. I was telling you the same thing as Philly but was offering you the links back to the original iPad guide that you whined about not having. What i was trying to say is this - it is what it is.

When that EXACT user guide you are looking for is available, please post back - the one that is for the original iPad but updated for 4.3.

Original iPad User Guide for iOS 4.3?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.