Skip navigation

Sync Ipad to new computer

5816 Views 9 Replies Latest reply: Apr 24, 2012 9:36 AM by laurenahm RSS
cfc8907 Calculating status...
Currently Being Moderated
Mar 11, 2011 3:41 PM
I have a new computer and want to sync my Ipad to it but it keeps saying it is sync with another computer and it will erase everything. I don't want to loose everything so how do I do this?
HP Pavillion dv6, Windows 7
  • Julian Wright Level 7 Level 7 (34,835 points)
    Mar 11, 2011 3:46 PM (in response to cfc8907)
    Transfer the iTunes Library from your old computer to the new computer and then continue syncing as normal.

You can't sync FROM iPad to computer (except for purchases made on the iPad)
    iMac 20", MacBook, Time Capsule, Airport Express, AppleTV 2, Mac OS X (10.6.6 + 10.7) - iPhone 3GS 32GB, iPad WiFi 32GB
  • radi07 Calculating status...
    Mar 11, 2011 9:24 PM (in response to Julian Wright)
    I have the same issue, however my original laptop has crashed and I am unable to transfer files to the new one. How do I cancel the original library.
    hp pavilion dv6, Windows 7
  • Kasper18 Calculating status...
    Mar 11, 2011 9:36 PM (in response to cfc8907)
    If you sold the old computer or the old computer is broken, you can transfer the purchased apps to the new computer by clicking the "right button" over the device and select transfer purchases. Just note that you need to authorize in itunes the new computer first.
    Apple TV
  • Julian Wright Level 7 Level 7 (34,835 points)
    Mar 12, 2011 3:05 AM (in response to radi07)
    Didn't you have a backup of your original laptop, to save you in such situations?
    iMac 20", MacBook, Time Capsule, Airport Express, AppleTV 2, Mac OS X (10.6.6 + 10.7) - iPhone 3GS 32GB, iPad WiFi 32GB
  • lucyfromfpo Calculating status...
    Aug 16, 2011 6:12 AM (in response to cfc8907)

I no longer have my old computer. I synced my pictures from my old computer to my iPad and now want to delete some of these pictures but it will not let me do so on my new computer b/c it is synced with another computer and will only let me download pictures from my new computer on my iPad or that I have taken after the sync with the old computer onto my new computer. Help. How do I get rid of some of the old pictures on my iPad?

• lucyfromfpo Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Aug 16, 2011 6:13 AM (in response to Julian Wright)

Help! I no longer have my old computer. I synced my pictures from my old computer to my iPad and now want to delete some of these pictures but it will not let me do so on my new computer b/c it is synced with another computer and will only let me download pictures from my new computer on my iPad or that I have taken after the sync with the old computer onto my new computer. Help. How do I get rid of some of the old pictures on my iPad?

• King_Penguin Level 10 Level 10 (92,475 points)
    Aug 16, 2011 6:26 AM (in response to lucyfromfpo)

If I connect my iPad to a different computer and try to sync photos to it then I get a warning that it will remove all the current synced photos from the iPad and will replace them. Are you saying that you aren't getting that, or that you want to keep some of the photos on the iPad that you synced from your old computer ?

• laurenahm Calculating status...
    Apr 24, 2012 9:32 AM (in response to Julian Wright)

OK, I am looking at the apple files in the back-up of my old computer - what is the iTunes library actually called or where it would typically be located....I cannot find it!

• laurenahm Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Apr 24, 2012 9:36 AM (in response to laurenahm)

Found it!!! thanks everyone!!

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.