Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

not available for FaceTime message

I have successfully downloaded FaceTime to my imac, but when i try to call my iphone4 it says I'm not available for FaceTime. The camera is working and I'm calling my cell so I can't figure out what i've done wrong.

imac/intel, Mac OS X (10.6.2)

Posted on Mar 12, 2011 1:43 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 12, 2011 4:56 PM

Nancy H wrote:
...when i try to call my iphone4 it says I'm not available for FaceTime.... I'm calling my cell so ...

It doesn't matter whether your Mac uses a wired or wireless internet connection,
but your iPhone must be connected to a working wi-fi in order for its FaceTime to work:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4319

Also, FaceTime must be enabled ("ON") in your iPhone's settings and allowed in "Restrictions."

EZ User uploaded file Jim

Message was edited by: EZ Jim

Mac Pro Quad Core (Early 2009) 2.93Ghz Mac OS X (10.6.6); MacBook Pro (13 inch, Mid 2009) 2.26GHz (10.6.6)
LED Cinema Display; G4 PowerBook 1.67GHz (10.4.11); iBookSE 366MHz (10.3.9); External iSight; iPod4touch4.2.1
5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 12, 2011 4:56 PM in response to Nancy H

Nancy H wrote:
...when i try to call my iphone4 it says I'm not available for FaceTime.... I'm calling my cell so ...

It doesn't matter whether your Mac uses a wired or wireless internet connection,
but your iPhone must be connected to a working wi-fi in order for its FaceTime to work:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4319

Also, FaceTime must be enabled ("ON") in your iPhone's settings and allowed in "Restrictions."

EZ User uploaded file Jim

Message was edited by: EZ Jim

Mac Pro Quad Core (Early 2009) 2.93Ghz Mac OS X (10.6.6); MacBook Pro (13 inch, Mid 2009) 2.26GHz (10.6.6)
LED Cinema Display; G4 PowerBook 1.67GHz (10.4.11); iBookSE 366MHz (10.3.9); External iSight; iPod4touch4.2.1

Mar 16, 2011 11:25 AM in response to Nancy H

You need to change the FaceTime caller ID settings on your Mac because you're using the same Apple ID on both devices. You need to associate a second email address on one of your devices in order for FaceTime to work. Otherwise, you're essentially calling and receiving from the same address and FaceTime gets confused. It took a few minutes of tinkering with different caller IDs and associated email addresses on each device in order for me to get it to work.

Mar 18, 2011 4:40 PM in response to Steve Gregson

Steve Gregson wrote:
You need to change the FaceTime caller ID settings on your Mac because you're using the same Apple ID on both devices. You need to associate a second email address on one of your devices in order for FaceTime to work. Otherwise, you're essentially calling and receiving from the same address and FaceTime gets confused. It took a few minutes of tinkering with different caller IDs and associated email addresses on each device in order for me to get it to work.

This is incorrect information. The Mac uses your Apple ID for FaceTime but, the iPhone uses your phone number. If you call from iPhone to Mac, they are not using the same ID. There must be another issue if you are having trouble connecting.

Mar 20, 2011 6:55 AM in response to Mig954

Mig954 wrote:
Steve Gregson wrote:

This is incorrect information. The Mac uses your Apple ID for FaceTime but, the iPhone uses your phone number. If you call from iPhone to Mac, they are not using the same ID. There must be another issue if you are having trouble connecting.

Oops, I meant to say email, not Apple ID. The Mac, iPod, and iPad use your email address. The iPhone uses your phone number. Sorry.

not available for FaceTime message

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.