Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can dock items in Guest Account be changed "permanently"?

Is there a way for an administrator to add/delete items to/from the dock in the Guest Account and have those changes become the default? So far everything I change goes disappears with each logout of the Guest Account. I know that this is supposed to happen with the Guest. Thanks!

Mac Pro Quad Core + iMac Intel 2.16/2 +Macbook 2.2/2, Mac OS X (10.6.6), iPod Touch, 2G

Posted on Mar 12, 2011 4:53 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 12, 2011 6:02 PM

It may be possible, though I haven't tried it myself. Try this at your own risk.

You would have to get hold of a copy of Workgroup Manager, which is part of Server Admin Tools. Download the installer, run it, and throw everything it installs away except WM.

Authenticate to localhost as your local admin. Select the guest account, go to the Preferences dialog, select "Always Manage," select Dock, and set the preferences as you wish. Save.
14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 12, 2011 6:02 PM in response to bobio

It may be possible, though I haven't tried it myself. Try this at your own risk.

You would have to get hold of a copy of Workgroup Manager, which is part of Server Admin Tools. Download the installer, run it, and throw everything it installs away except WM.

Authenticate to localhost as your local admin. Select the guest account, go to the Preferences dialog, select "Always Manage," select Dock, and set the preferences as you wish. Save.

Mar 13, 2011 1:36 PM in response to Király

Thank you. Due to my inexperience, would you be able to clarify? I followed your thread and it discussed downloading and using the "server admin tools" and remote administration. To the best of my knowledge I do not have a server, but just my local computer. Would the server admin tools for 10.6 then be what I would use, understanding that this program would be installed on the same computer on which I want to adjust the guest account dock? Thanks.

Mar 26, 2011 9:19 AM in response to Király

I'm trying to do this too.

I needed to uncheck "merge with user's dock" so that the default guest dock apps don't get merged with my custom list of guest dock apps.

However, when I do this, the downloads folder disappears from the dock. When I try to add documents & folders, I can't find a guest downloads folder on the drive.

Is there a way to add the downloads folder to the guest dock when "merge with user's dock" is disabled?

Sep 21, 2012 7:45 PM in response to bobio

Okay, I used the information above and was able to make permanent changes to the dock on the user account. I learned the following lesson:

In order to do that you must be logged in as the Guest. The WM software, at least with my limited knowledge of how these things work, does not make permanent changes to the Guest account "remotely" via the administrator account. So it worked for me, and thanks for all the information.

I have another question though: My goal is to allow a Guest to go on the Internet. So I am making Safari available to Guest. I would like to make FireFox available also. But here is the problem:

Each time the two browsers start from scratch because all the cutomized files get deleted when the Guest logs out. This is specially more annoying with Firefox since its barebone lunch requires more steps before it actually begins working.

I want Safari or Firefox to open up in a Google page, and ready to go. What do I need to do to get the settings file get saved?

Thanks in advance.

Farzad

Aug 9, 2013 3:15 AM in response to Linc Davis

Linc Davis wrote:

I've tried this, but the authentication does not work. Since you said “as your local admin”, I've filled the address field with "127.0.0.1" and my admin user name and password for the two other fields; it said it's invalid. What's wrong?

Can dock items in Guest Account be changed "permanently"?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.