1 2 Previous Next 24 Replies Latest reply: Oct 24, 2013 8:16 PM by lenyramos26
ClubUgly Level 1 Level 1 (20 points)
Have I missed a setting or something as all photos and videos taken on my iPad 2 appear in reverse when viewing them in the camera roll?

NOTE: Sorry if this has already been asked

iPad 2, iOS 4
  • 1. Re: Photos/Videos mirrored in reverse...(iPad 2)
    I tried a search but too many unrelated topics... Can anyone confirm the above for me?

Thanks
  • 2. Re: Photos/Videos mirrored in reverse...(iPad 2)
    Kyn Drake Level 7 Level 7 (21,460 points)
    I'll have to try a little later, but in general, Apple's apps reverse the video signal when you're capturing so that it's more like a mirror. Look at your iPad in the Photo Booth app, then close one of your eyes. You should see that, instead of showing the eye on the opposite side of the screen closing (which would be correct), it shows the eye on the same side of the screen closing (like a mirror would).

The downside is that when you play these videos back, they appear to be "reversed". I'll go grab my iPad and see if I can reproduce this.
  • 3. Re: Photos/Videos mirrored in reverse...(iPad 2)
    However, my macbook pro or iPhone 4 does not display this bad result. They both display "what you see is what you get".

My iPad 2 front camera displays everything mirrored... If I take pic of my right side face, the preview is if I took photo of left side face. That's annoying
  • 4. Re: Photos/Videos mirrored in reverse...(iPad 2)
    Just tried on my computer, and what you capture is indeed what gets stored. Even if you take the PhotoBooth image into iPhoto, it displays as it was captured. Could be an issue in the way the iPad works that might be something to be resolved in a future update.
  • 5. Re: Photos/Videos mirrored in reverse...(iPad 2)
    David M Brewer Level 6 Level 6 (9,200 points)
    Here is what happens when I use the camera...

Front facing camera when viewing the preview the image is flipped. When viewing the photo taken from the front facing camera the photo is displayed correctly, not flipped. Same with video.

On the other hand, the back facing camera the imagine is correct both in the preview and viewing the photo. Same with video...
  • 6. Re: Photos/Videos mirrored in reverse...(iPad 2)
    Just confirmed it on my iPad. Images with the front facing camera are stored as if they were captured with the back facing camera. The front images should be stored "flipped" like they are on the iPhone and computer front facing cameras.
  • 7. Re: Photos/Videos mirrored in reverse...(iPad 2)
    Hey, I just tried my iPhone (front facing camera) and it DOES flip the picture with the 4.3 software. If you take a picture looking to the left, it will show up on your phone looking to the right. Is that what you see?
  • 8. Re: Photos/Videos mirrored in reverse...(iPad 2)
    ok, that's new then... Must have something to do with the latest update as I have tons of old pics on my phone to doc that this is recent. Thanks for the heads up.
  • 9. Re: Photos/Videos mirrored in reverse...(iPad 2)
    I know, I took a bunch of pictures when I was trying on glasses a few months ago and I don't remember the flipping after the picture was taken. Anyone has an iPhone 4 that HASN'T been updated to 4.3 to confirm?
  • 10. Re: Photos/Videos mirrored in reverse...(iPad 2)
    Front facing camera preview.

Front facing camera, photo view in the Photo app.

The same holds true for videos on the front facing camera. Videos and photos on the back facing are previewed and saved in the correct orientation.
  • 11. Re: Photos/Videos mirrored in reverse...(iPad 2)
    danhig123 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    I am having the same problem. I got my iPad yesterday and upgraded to 4.3.1 straight away so I don't know if it has changed with this update, but it is very annoying. I am guessing there is no way of fixing it until a software update.
  • 12. Re: Photos/Videos mirrored in reverse...(iPad 2)
    Fixing what? The above images that I supplied are correct. That is the way it is suppose to look .
  • 13. Re: Photos/Videos mirrored in reverse...(iPad 2)
    Clarence Johnson Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)
    I am the same problem. The front camera reverses the image but the back image orientation is correct. This is a bug and I hope that Apple fixes this soon.

The front camera issue is also applicable to when using the video camera ... not good Apple. Please fix. Thanks.
  • 14. Re: Photos/Videos mirrored in reverse...(iPad 2)
    Brooklynrox Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I'm having the same problem with my ipad. My front face camera shows a mirror image, then reverses the image after it is taken. I know the reversed image is indeed the correct image but why does the front camera have to display a mirror image in the first place? Why can't it display an already reversed image before taking a picture, like webcams do? It's annoying because I like to see exactly how the picture will come out before I take it. The picture looks off when it's reversed after it's taken.

I also updated the OS when I first got my iPad so I'm wondering if this issue is due to the updated OS or was it always like this? I know people with android front facing camera phones were having the same issue.

Thanks for any info u might have

1 2 Previous Next