Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't back up because session could not be started

I'm having trouble with my ipad which won't back up and won't update to the new version of the software.

I've made sure my OSX is up to date and have the latest iTunes. I've also tried it on my iMac, the ususal computer and my wife's MacBook but I get exactly the same response. Any ideas out there?

Thanks

David

imac 3.06GHz Core 2 Duo, Mac OS X (10.6.6)

Posted on Mar 13, 2011 12:44 AM

17 replies

Mar 13, 2011 4:14 AM in response to Cobbyco

I have exactly the same problem. Some weeks ago my iPad stopped doing back-ups. It was recognised by iTunes when I connected it. When I tried to do a sync it skipped over doing a back-up and went straight to syncing. Then a few weeks later it never got beyond the back-up part of syncing. I then got the same message "Can't back-up because session could not be started." Of course, now that iOS 4.3 is here, as doing a back up is an integral part of the software upgrade, I cannot upgrade.

I have spent a lot of time with Apple Support trying to fix this problem but they have been unable to sort it out. The last I heard from them they emailed me (on 17 Feb) to say that they were going to get one of their engineers to look at the issue. But despite several chasers from me I have heard nothing more.

Mar 13, 2011 4:24 AM in response to lynjon1

I don't know whether this is going to cover ground the Apple guts have already covered, but ...

It sounds like iTunes can't write or otherwise access the Backups folder, or perhaps a recent backup file has been damaged.

So, quit iTunes, and then:

1. Repair permissions, using Disk Utility (I think that's a very long shot)

2. Go to <user>/Library/Application Support/Mobilesync and move the Backup folder somewhere else

3. Go to <user>/Library/Caches/com.Apple.iTunes and delete the cache.db file

Fingers crossed

Mar 13, 2011 11:25 AM in response to lynjon1

Well it backs up what's installed, IE what apps you put on it, what music etc... But not the actual apps, since they're on your computer.

Mostly you'd lose application data. So game saves, passwords for apps tied to websites, and things of that nature.

You'll also lose your pictures, so make sure you back those up by taking them off the iPad with iPhoto. Of course it's probably an iPad 1, which has no camera, so you probably don't have any.

Mail accounts would have to be set back up and which apps, music and movies you want on it would have to be redone.

It's a good couple of hours while you watch tv.

Apr 10, 2011 4:10 AM in response to lynjon1

Thanks for all the tips and ideas. am in the same situation but don't have the protection plan 🙂 It did work for a while after I got the updates to itunes and the iPad but it's just started doing the same problem again. Good reason to upgrade to iPad2 I suppose but shame it has a problem that can't be fixed after less than a year.

Apr 30, 2011 4:31 PM in response to Cobbyco

I have similar problem when trying to sync my iPad.

I managed to start the sync process but after towards the end of the sync process, it popped up the "session could not be started" message.

At first I ignored this issue as it appeared that nothing has gone 'wrong'.

However, the same thing happen again each time I tried to backup/sync the iPad.

My solution is deleting the device's backup from iTunes Preferences. Restart the iPad and resync.

This happened about a couple of times previously and the solution described above seemed to correct the problem.

I am using the latest iOS 4.3.2 on my iPad (1st gen).

Can't back up because session could not be started

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.