Newsroom Update

Apple Music today announced the release of its 100 Best Albums of all time, a list crafted by Apple Music’s experts alongside industry professionals. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

an unknown error (-42408)

Cannot connect to the iTunes Store because of an unknown error (-42408)

IPhone 3Gs, IPhone 4, Ipod, Windows 7

Posted on Mar 13, 2011 9:22 AM

14 replies

Aug 2, 2011 11:55 AM in response to Cannot connect to the iTunes S

I have the exact same problem, however I have tried more than a few methods to resolve it, nothing is working. I have installed, uninstalled, re-installed etc etc and nothing works. I am still receiving the (-42408) code as well as errors telling me iTunes cannot back up my iPod. And when I try to sync, it starts working, but does not sync anything, and errors appear telling me iTunes cannot apply the apps I have onto my iPod for whatever reason. Been on multiple forums, no help at all. Any help here would be great?

Oct 12, 2011 9:47 PM in response to cyberion8

This has been an on going problem I have uninstalled everything that had to do with apple itunes cleaned my c drive did a scan disk rebooted then downloaded iTunes again and reinstalled and still get the same message and I have an iPhone that needs to be upgraded and I am unable to do so and we do not have an Apple store anywhere in our area What can I do Thank you for any help you can give me Thank you

This is the message I get when I try to open iTunes--------->iTunes has stopped working

A problem caused the program to stop working correctly, Wndows will close the program and notify you if the solution is available.

Please someone help me I tried calling apple and they said if I want tech help I'll have to pay and the problem is with iTunes not my iPhone. What can I do

Oct 25, 2011 1:28 AM in response to Cannot connect to the iTunes S

Extreamly frustrated with Itunes 10.5. I get the "-42408" error and will not let me update my Iphone apps, won't let me play my purchased tv/movies from Itunes, it doesn't recognize my ipods to load new or old music and I can not buy anything from Itunes!!!!!

I have tried all of the things in this tread below, but nothing has worked.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2321090?start=30&tstart=0

I have uninstalled and reinstalled Itunes countless times.

Looks like I'm not the only one having this problem.

Hope there is a fix soon.

Dec 21, 2012 10:35 PM in response to Cannot connect to the iTunes S

Hi

I know this thread is a little old but I thought I would leave the solution I found that worked for me. I'm on a mac mountain lion.

I tried uninstalling reinstalling and that didn't work.

You may want to back these folders up before trying this.

1) Quit iTunes.

2) Go to System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/

3) COPY the following folders to a different location just in case

AirTrafficHost.framework
CoreFP.framework
DeviceLink.framework
iTunesAccess.framework
MobileDevice.framework

4) Delete them from the original location.

5) reinstall iTunes

6) Smile no more error -42408

an unknown error (-42408)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.