Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Erase and Install

Looking for help on preparing my Mac Pro G5 to be updated. I am looking to do a data transfer for my macbook pro to the G5. In order to do this i understand i need to erase the current content of the G5. My question is how do i erase the contents in preparation for the data transfer apple seems unwilling to help me without a $50 support fee which i am looking to avoid. Any info on this is greatly appreciated.

Mac Pro G5 Macbook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.6)

Posted on Mar 13, 2011 10:04 AM

4 replies

Mar 13, 2011 11:57 AM in response to sharktoes

Hi sharktoes, and a warm welcome to the forums! 🙂

In order to do this i understand i need to erase the current content of the G5.

I doubt it, regardless of which Mac it is, but to be sure which Mac it is...

At the Apple Icon at top left>About this Mac.

Then click on More Info>Hardware and report this upto but not including the Serial#...

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: iMac
Model Identifier: iMac7,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 4 MB
Memory: 6 GB
Bus Speed: 800 MHz
Boot ROM Version: IM71.007A.B03
SMC Version (system): 1.21f4

Mar 13, 2011 4:17 PM in response to BDAqua

Thanks for your response. I was told at the apple store i would need to erase the old material so that i could transfer the data from my laptop top this Power Mac G5. I do not want any of the existing data on my computer once i but my laptops data on it. It was my mothers computer and do not need her contacts and documents, music, photos, etc. on it i feel it will only clog up the computer and make it more difficult for me to navigate through my data. Any answer to erasing this info? I was told i could wipe the disk with the original install disks but was unable to figure that our when i loaded them this morning? Any suggestions?

Machine Name: Power Mac G5
Machine Model: PowerMac7,3
CPU Type: PowerPC G5 (3.0)
Number Of CPUs: 2
CPU Speed: 2 GHz
L2 Cache (per CPU): 512 KB
Memory: 1 GB
Bus Speed: 1 GHz
Boot ROM Version: 5.2.4f1

Mar 13, 2011 9:27 PM in response to sharktoes

You should be able, with the original install discs, either do an "Erase and Install" installation or first erase the hard drive and then install the system again.

To start with an erase, when you have booted from the install disc, select the language *but do not start the install process.* Click the "Utility" menu in the menu bar and select Disc Utility. Then use Disk Utility to erase the hard drive. Then quit Disc Utility, which should put you at the installer again.

Start the install process from there and you should be good. Once you get the system installed and brought up to date with Software Update, which may take several restarts, depending on where you are starting from, then you should be able to use Migration Assistant to pull your data over from the laptop.

Erase and Install

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.