Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Converting mp4 to mov in FCP 7.03

I have a project which consists of 2 files. First an intro saved as an .m4v and a video saved as an .mp4 I need to import both files in to FCP edit together and save as an .mov

First I noticed and later read that FCP does not play.mp4 files from within the Viewer window so I dragged the .mp4 into the timeline along with the m4v and I still got an error. I then then rendered the project and I was able to see it in the canvas window. I then exported as a Quicktime movie and the file seems OK.

But what if I needed to edit the mp4 in the viewer?

I tried to convert the mp4 in Quicktime Pro to an mov but it only plays the audio back and not the video.

Any help?

rd

Mac Pro 2.66 10GB memory / Powermac G5 Dual 1.8, Mac OS X (10.6.6)

Posted on Mar 13, 2011 5:53 PM

8 replies

Mar 13, 2011 7:07 PM in response to ralphiedee

OK I think I resolved this, first of all I took one original.mp4 file, opened in Video Monkey and just saved as another .mp4 (same name) . That file is convertable in QtPro, and MPEG Stream. So the mp4 file I was given has something wrong somewhere within the file. Any idea of what it could be?

Just to mention I do have Adobe Premiere, and I did take the original .mp4 rendered the output as an.mov and it worked as well so I really do not understand why

original .mp4 plays in Adobe Premiere and when saved as an .mov also plays fine

original.mp4 cannot be converted to .mov in Media Stream or Quicktime Pro (errors)

but If I open and re save the original .mp4 file in Handbrake or Video Monkey the re saved mp4 is convertable in Quicktime Pro and Media Stream.

I'm at a loss for words here???????????

RD

Mar 13, 2011 9:29 PM in response to ralphiedee

OK I see what the problem was. I was using the export feature in QT Pro and finally realized I should have been using the Save As. Works great except for another problem.

When I convert the mp4 to mov and import into FCP when attempting to drag the clip into the viewer I get the general Error msg once I click it I get the Out Of memory msg. The clip is only 1:03 long.

????

Mar 15, 2011 1:14 PM in response to ralphiedee

Let me start at the beginning as I'm having all kinds of problems here. I have a set of .mp4 videos along with an .m4v inro piece. I need to import each .mp4 and m4v into FCP 7.03 edit together, lower the audio on one and save as an .mp4 file.

Problems are FCP let's me import the .mp4 but if I try to view in the viewer I get a out of memory error. I can drag the mp4 into the canvas and to the timeline but I need to render it before I can play it.

What I tried so far,

convert the .mp4 to an .mov in Media Streamclip ( error cant prepare movie)

convert in Quicktime Pro ( save as reference movie) .mov (but coding is still AVC)

So basically my footage inside FCP is still essentailly an mp4 with h264

I can get thru this project by just rendering and then saving, so far I have had no errors but there has to be a better way.

Anyone

rd

Converting mp4 to mov in FCP 7.03

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.