Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Two questions about going from iPad to iPad2

I have an iPad and ordered an iPad 2 (yay)!

1. What happens to my current data plan? I have unlimited data at $29.99 a month which isn't offered anymore. Will I be grandfathered in and able to keep that? Do I need to do anything in order to do that?

2. I am giving my current iPad to my son. How do I restore it like a new iPad (get all my info off of it) without losing the info so I can put it on my NEW iPad 2 when it arrives?

Thanks in advance for any help/responses.

Macbook Pro (home) / iMac (office) / iPhone 4, iPad wifi +3G, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Mar 13, 2011 7:16 PM

4 replies

Mar 13, 2011 8:49 PM in response to yankeegal

FROM APPADVICE (www.appadvice.com):

"Many iPad 3G owners may want to transfer their current data plan to the new iPad 2. You could simply wait until the end of the month to cancel your current plan (unless you want to keep your unlimited data plan). Or, you could get everything transferred over on day one. AT&T provided us with a step by step guide on how to do this:

Step 1. Find your original iPad’s cellular data number and IMEI number. These can be found in the settings app. Simply go to “General” then “About.” Here you will find both numbers. Your IMEI number is what AT&T uses to identify your SIM card.

Step 2. Call 1-800-331-0500

Step 3. Let AT&T know you would like to transfer your data plan from your original iPad to your new iPad.

Step 4. AT&T will ask for the iPad 2’s IMEI number and will transfer your plan over to your new iPad.

It is a pretty straight forward and simple procedure. We did ask about simply moving the SIM card from the original iPad to iPad 2. The representative said not to do this. It is unclear if AT&T monitors what device your SIM card is in. It is possible that AT&T could cancel your data plan if you move your SIM card from an original iPad to iPad 2.

The representative also let us know that once the transfer is complete you can sign up for a new plan on your original iPad if desired."

Two questions about going from iPad to iPad2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.