Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I have Aperture watch a folder and automatically import new photos?

I use a WiFi-SD card (Eye-Fi) that automagically sends each photo taken, to my laptop. How can I set up Aperture to see these new photos and import them without having to do so manually?

I have eye-fi putting the photos into daily folders (2011-03-14) and so it's easy to miss photos or I have to be sure to import a folder again the next day incase to ensure I didn't miss any new additions.

This seems like a simple thing to ask for of a program.

15" MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.5)

Posted on Mar 14, 2011 7:31 AM

12 replies

Mar 24, 2011 7:22 AM in response to CREAMASTER

I'm interested in this too but instead of Aperture I use Capture One Pro. For example I shoot tethered (camera attached to a laptop/computer via a USB cord). When I take a picture it gets stored in a designated folder. What I would like to have done is to have those images in the folder that are being taken and in real time duplicate it/them in another folder on the laptop/computer or even on an external USB/firewire drive.

I'm new to mac and don't know anything about automator actions and how it works.

tia

Feb 14, 2013 5:33 AM in response to Yer_Man

No direspect to Terence Devlin, but creating an Automator action like that will not make a "watch folder". A watch folder is a folder in which the program actively changes the contents of it's database based on changes in a particular folder. The following things would be recognized:

1. New/Moved Files
  2. Copied Files
  3. Deleted Files
  4. New/Moved folders/subfolders
  5. Copied folders/subfolders
  6. Deleted folders/subfolders

An automator script like that only recognizes one thing:

New files

Feb 14, 2013 5:44 AM in response to tcc13

An Automator action attached to a Finder Folder should do what you want. I use Sony cameras, which Aperture does not support for tethering, but I tether them all same, and have a "Hot Uploads to Aperture" Finder folder that automatically bounces files saved to it to a Project in Aperture. You should be able to do something similar with C1P.

Here is a Google search for "automator folder action"

Feb 14, 2013 6:05 AM in response to LogicProLetsGo

The person I responded to stated his/her need:

What I would like to have done is to have those images in the folder that are being taken and in real time duplicate it/them in another folder on the laptop/computer or even on an external USB/firewire drive.

I replied:

An Automator action attached to a Finder Folder should do what you want.

Neither the question nor the answer were about a watch folder as you have carefully defined it.

Equally to the point, Terence did not say that his recommendation would create a watch folder. He implied -- correctly -- that the OP could solve his/her problem by using an Automator action attached to a Finder folder.

The OP _specified_ his/her needs: to " ... have Aperture watch a folder and automatically import new photos". He/She was not looking for a "watch folder".

Feb 14, 2013 6:42 AM in response to Kirby Krieger

You are correct, Kirby. I was looking for watch folder capability when I found this thread. I read what I wanted to read, without actually understanding the original request.

My apologies!

@Frank,

Although I admit that I made a mistake above regarding the original post, the information I posted about watch folders is correct. Aperture does not scan folders like Picasa, for example. Most likely due to the non-destructive editing system.

Feb 14, 2013 6:52 AM in response to LogicProLetsGo

Thank you for your gracious apology. Accepted 😎 .

Cheers,

--Kirby.

(Added:) Ah -- you'd done well, and then ... added the response to Frank. Terence never said that Automator would create a "watch folder". When you said

No direspect to Terence Devlin, but creating an Automator action like that will not make a "watch folder".

your disrespect was evident. That is to what (I'm sure) Frank responded. The information you presented is correct. The conclusions you drew from it were hasty and -- as you admitted -- wrong.

Message was edited by: Kirby Krieger

How do I have Aperture watch a folder and automatically import new photos?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.