Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Creating New Library on Ext HDD

I'm a new user of Aperture and am using 3.1.1.
I want to set up my library and store all my photos on an external hard drive, as I'm using a MacBook Pro and can foresee space becoming a problem.

The external hdd is currently formatted as FAT32.
When I try to create the library on it, I'm getting the message "The library could not be created because the file system of the destination volume is not supported."

Am I right in thinking that the drive has to be formatted as Mac OS Extended to be able to store the library on there?
I was hoping to share the library with my partner (who also has a MBP and Aperture 3.1.1 installed), so don't want to store the library on my local drive.

I'm new to Aperture and new to Apple (having just come over from the Windows dark side), so was hoping to store my photos on a drive that was readable by both systems.
I'm suspecting that this isn't going to be possible?

As a last resort, would there be any issues with storing the library on my local drive and storing all the photos on the external hdd, as referenced files, with the drive formatted as either NTFS (I have Paragon software) or FAT32 (I know the 4GB limit, but have no files that would be that size). I realise that obviously with this set-up, the library wouldn't be shareable.

Sorry for the Spanish Inquisition! Thank you in advance for any help - and look forward to learning lots on the forum!

MBP 17, Mac OS X (10.6.6)

Posted on Mar 14, 2011 10:44 AM

6 replies

Mar 14, 2011 12:01 PM in response to GrandmaSmithy

I think I found the answer to my question:

1. Basically, yes the external hdd drive does have to be Mac OS Extended for 3.1.1 now.
2. A library stored on an external hdd can be shared, as long as all the permissions are correctly set up for each user, and both users have Aperture 3 installed on their MBPs.

Found the answers here:

http://www.artof2.com/blog/?p=354

If anyone else has any thoughts on this though, or any of the above isn't correct, I'd love to hear from you. 🙂

Creating New Library on Ext HDD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.