Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac OS 9.1 for PM G4 digital audio

I have a PowerMac G4 digital audio and want to install Mac OS 9.1 on it. That particular machine requires a version of 9.1 with ROM 6.7.1, different than the standard 9.1 installation disk.

Anyone have a lead as to where I could obtain the correct disk (or, download that particular ROM)?

Mac Pro and many other older machines, Mac OS X (10.6.6)

Posted on Mar 14, 2011 2:17 PM

6 replies

Mar 14, 2011 4:33 PM in response to tcarlsoninaz

As the Digital Audio shipped after 9.1 retail did, you'd need the grey machine-specific disc for the DA to install 9.1 (they updated it to be compatible with the DA). You'd be better off finding a retail disc of 9.2.x and using that instead as that is newer than your Mac so the standard retail version will be compatible without needing anything machine-specific - the latest update to OS9 is 9.2.2 which you can update to using the free updaters from any installed 9.x version.

Mar 14, 2011 6:27 PM in response to Zer0reZ

I have 9.2.2 on it right now. Problem is, I have a gaggle of old Macs going back to a PowerBook 180 running system 7.1 that I would like to be able to share files with this machine. It all works with 9.1, but not with 9.2.2 as I have learned from past experience.

It's just a hobby, of course. So, maybe I'll find an actual DA installation disk on eBay someday.

Thanks for the response.

Mar 11, 2012 6:33 PM in response to tcarlsoninaz

Did you ever find a copy of this OS?

In a similar boat here, the only way I can get all of the software/drivers that I need to work is to run OS 9.1 - so I am trying to replace my 2x1Ghz G4 running 9.2.2 with a 733MHz G4 DA... bought one off of eBay because the guy said he would include the 9.1 disc (even though it was running 10.4), well, after I paid he wrote and said he couldnt find the disk. I called Apple and they said that I could get a replacement disc from them (for $12?) so I told the guy I would take it anyhow (and he said he found the disc) ... well, got the computer and the included disc was for an iMac, no big deal, called Apple - and this time the person says that they no longer carry that OS - and there's nothing he can do (this was like 5 days later so I can see how things would change). So now I have a whole lot of crap that I can't use - and really no where to turn ... I have been looking for this disc for months now.

Mac OS 9.1 for PM G4 digital audio

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.