Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is this possible? live vocal loops, guitar loops/effects.

Hi, I am a solo artist.
I use a boss rc-50 loopstation, a korg electribe (drum machine), a fender telecaster, and an effects board with delays and other effects.
when I play live I run a midi cable out from my rc- 50 and in my electribe drum machine.
I run my guitar into my effects board then into my rc-50, I also run a mic though my rc-50 for vocal loops.
I have one more mic running just out the pa. I play light techno, pop music.

I recently purchased logic studio 9 and I am trying to see if I can pretty much do all of what I explained above through my mac, that would make life much easier, especially set up and take down.
if anyone has any ideas or suggestions please let me know,
Thanks!

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.6)

Posted on Mar 14, 2011 2:46 PM

25 replies

Apr 7, 2011 12:42 AM in response to jhart26

Hi

The short answer is yes....

see http://www.apple.com/logicstudio/mainstage/ and the manual for details.

Mainstage has a Loopback plugin which will do the "live looping", all the effects you'd want and all capable of being controlled from a MIDI controller.

Some might find that the loop pedal you already have is easier to use, even if you integrated it into a Mainstage rig.

CCT

Apr 7, 2011 2:50 PM in response to jhart26

Totally possible. The FCB1010 is a good foot controller to use, around $100 too, so not a bad deal. You have the right Idea, syncing ultrabeat up - the only thing is that you have to program your sequences into ultrabeat and send a midi note to switch between them.

Then you route your inputs to the LoopBack plugin. You can also use PlayBack to run your backing tracks if running the drum machine is too much for you. I recommend mapping the tempo to an on screen number as well as the measure count.

If you have any questions about this setup, don't hesitate to ask - I have done exactly what you are wanting to do 😉

Apr 8, 2011 8:05 AM in response to sam squarewave

So, I'm wanting to do the same thing. Wondering though if the Mainstage loopback will do what my boomerang III will do. Really, what I liked about it, were the two different ways I was able use it. Serial, and Serial sync, in which I lay down a short master rhythm loop, then create a second (slave) loop that is in sync and a multiple of the master loop. I can then also create a third loop (and even a fourth loop) that I can toggle between. (Master is always running, and can be stacked upon if I so desire, fyi.) So, how do I do THAT in Mainstage?

Thanks!

Adam

Apr 8, 2011 8:57 AM in response to Pianafiddle

Pianafiddle wrote:
then create a second (slave) loop that is in sync and a multiple of the master loop. I can then also create a third loop (and even a fourth loop) that I can toggle between. (Master is always running, and can be stacked upon if I so desire, fyi.) So, how do I do THAT in Mainstage?

Hi

Set up the required number of LoopBack plugins in parallel (probably at Set level) on different Aux Channels.

You will probably need some MIDI control switches to "drive" it all.

CCT

Apr 8, 2011 9:18 AM in response to CCTM

CCTM,
thanks. How will I get them to sync together? Won't they kind of just roam free? I want my "second" loop back to stick like glue to my first.

And I have a midi foot controller that is very customizable. (softstep)

Thank you in advance for any suggestions. (Hey, you don't know of a place where one can download or share mainstage templates with other mainstage users, do you? I'd love to study what other people have done.)

Apr 8, 2011 9:42 AM in response to CCTM

I guess I'm just not yet adept enough in mainstage to even really understand that. I will continue my research, but the grouping suggestion didn't really make sense to me. Do you mean group in on one channel strip? Or group the controls together? Seems like somebody could (and should!) make a looper template and sell the sucker. I'd buy it 🙂 As for the internal clock... I'd do whatever I needed to do to make it work. Yeah, I could just hook up my loop pedal, but you know, that's just a pain and REALLY limits my soundman's ability to control the loop level.

Ehhhh, I'll get this, and I really appreciate your help!

Thanks,

Adam

Apr 12, 2011 2:31 PM in response to Pianafiddle

I bounced back and forth between using MainStage/computer setup, and my hardware/mixer setup for two years. I perform solo with vocals, guitar, sax, and often use a Rang III looper, plus various floor effects.

I REALLY wanted to use MainStage full time to reduce setup time and cables and hardware, and spent many hours working and refining a custom setup. But in the end I have gone back to and settled on a pure hardware>mixer>PA setup (rather than MainStage>audio interface>PA.

There are two main reasons why I went full circle.

1) latency. Even after upgrading my MacBook and memory and interface, I could never get latency down low enough to not bother me during vocals or fast fingerpicking.

2) the main reason....if any one piece of my MainStage or the laptop or the audio interface weren't working for some reason, the entire gig shut down. Fast. With no sound man, troubleshooting any problems became frustrating and difficult during the heat of a gig in front of a waiting audience. With my hardware setup, even if one piece of my setup fails, I can quickly determine the problem quickly, bypass it, or find a quick workaround and continue playing. Things are "real" and not "virtual".

I'm love Apple products and software, and I'm sure many musicians are having great success using MainStage for live performance, but for singer/songwriter solo gigs, I find that it can be like doing a tightrope act with no net.

Mar 21, 2012 1:36 PM in response to dingdangdawg

An update. After upgrading to MS 2.2.1 and getting a faster Mac, things are running stable enough to give MainStage a second chance.

However, I am still not able to use Loopback as described by Pianafiddle in this thread (master - slave looping, as done by a Boomerang or Boss hardware pedal). If I try to set the first instance of Loopback to dictate the clock, it is not time reliably. And, If I try to Group instances of Loopback, I am stuck with all of them being the same length, so I cannot do a traditional "Master/Slave" style of live looping.

If someone has this figured out (Loopback live looping on-the-fly, not looping to a metronome or drum track), please let us know. Otherwise, Mobius is working very well.

Mar 21, 2012 1:40 PM in response to CCTM

Have you actually tried doing this and succeeded? I am also unable to get a setup syncing multiple loops in a slave-master relationship (and not tied to a metronome or drumtradk) with any sort of usable timing. Spent a couple of hours with it today, read everything online, watched every youtube video, read the MS documentation, threw I Ching, chanted, prayed....

Mar 22, 2012 9:26 AM in response to CCTM

Thanks. Well, to reiterate,I do not want to be tied down to a metronome or a clock, but need to be able to sync multiple loops together. So I need a "Master" loop, and "Slave" loop(s). For example, it the Master is one measure long, a Slave loop could be one measure long, or any multiple of one measure, depending on when you stop recording and "close" the Slave loop. If you then start the Slave loop later, it will always be synched up with the Master. This is the way my hardware loopers (Boss, Boomerang III, etc) work.

But with Loopback, things are OK until I try to get two (or more) instances of Loopback to synch up and behave. It seems there is no concept of "master" and "slave" looping with Loopback, and that I can only "slave" loops to the Concert Tempo. Well .... If I set up my first instance of Loopback to "Set Concert Tempo to First Take" then the timing of the loop gets sloppy, especially if am trying to do precise looping. When this approach is used, I can get subsequent instances of LoopBack to synch to the first loop, but the inaccuracies of timing the first loop make this method unusable for accurate timing (at least the way I have it set up!)

There are ways to "Group" Loopback instances, and I have also played around with this quite a bit, but this just seems to set the loop lengths the same for all loops in the Group, and they respond simultaneously to footswitch commands, and it doesn't seem to be useful for live looping if you want your loop lengths to differ in multiples of the Master loop length.

CCT, I certainly could be missing something; there are many parameter variations that could be selected in each Loopback instance (where the first is the "master" and the second is the "slave" loop). I have tried too many of them to remember or list, but I thought I tried all of the logical ones after reading through the docs and experimenting. If you know of some things to try with specific parameter settings, I will certainly put some more time in on it, cause I would love to have it working for live performance!

Is this possible? live vocal loops, guitar loops/effects.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.