Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad GarageBand MIDI keyboard map by David Ward 14-MAR-11

Tested with:
iPad (1) 32GB/3G/WIFI iOS4.3
Akai LPK25 two octave USB MIDI mini-keyboard
Apple Camera Connection Kit (non-powered USB works fine)

1. DRUMS

Classic Studio, Vintage, and Live Rock Kits

C1 Bass Drum BD
F1 Low Tom LT
C2 Mid Tom MT
A1 High Tom HT
D1 Snare Drum SD
C#1 Side Stick SS
D#1 or E1 Rim Shot RS
Bb1 Open Hi-Hat OHH
F#1 Closed Hi-Hat CHH
G#1 Pedal Hi-Hat PHH
C#1 Crash Cymbal CC (two finger cymbal only)
D#2 Ride Cymbal RC
F2 Ride Bell RB

Drum Machines (Top left > bottom right in 4x3 grid)

C#2 Crash
D2 MT
F1 LT (Classic, Hip Hop)), B1 (House)
G#1 Ride (Classic), Bb1 (House), D#2 (Hip Hop)
---
Bb1 OHH
F#1 CHH
D#1 or E1 Clap
D#2 Cowbell (Classic), D#2 FX (House), G#1 PHH (Hip Hop)
---
F2 Shaker
C#1 Claves (Classic, House), SS (Hip Hop)
D1 SD
C1 BD

G1 and B1 unknown Toms
F#2 on House has an unknown Cymbal/Rim Shot combination

No two finger tap equivalent

2. KEYBOARDS

Octave = 0, C2-C4 (just follow keys as any MIDI keyboard)
No iPad Arpeggio, but built-in Arpeggio function works on LPK25
iPad keyboard works independently and simultaneously
iPad Sustain works on LPK25 as Sustain
No function for iPad Glissando/Scroll/Pitch
Velocity sensitivity works on LPK25

3. SMART GUITAR

Octave = 0, C2-C4 (just follow keys to strum notes except below for chords)
Strums chords = E-2 through D0 (I can't tell whether these are major or minor, chord strum quite harsh)
No String bend

iPad 32Gb/3G/WIFI, iOS 4, iOS 4.3 and Akai LPK25 MIDI Keyboard

Posted on Mar 14, 2011 5:55 PM

12 replies

Mar 16, 2011 7:42 PM in response to davidwardsemail

I have uploaded a better (piano roll style) and more accurate (tested every key on every instrument) version of above to my iDisk

http://files.me.com/davidwardemail/oa454v

This includes some interesting behaviour for the Smart Guitars including major chords on Acoustic and Classic Clean Smart Guitars. Also look how Roots Rock Smart Guitar B3 actually plays a C3! This might be a bug.

Mar 16, 2011 7:48 PM in response to chordboard

Yes to your first point.

I don't know on the second. I am also running Korg ielectribe and I can see no way of getting the data in to iPad GarageBand. What did interest me with iPad GarageBand though was using the Audio-in on the headphone/mic socket (I think this is the 3rd rail on a 3.5mm jack used for the mic on stereo headset). What this means to me is you can sample anything that can be output such as CDs, samples, other synthesisers, or external mic sounds. Could be quite powerful as I could sample one of my favourite VST synths (Novation V-Station) and play it on the iPad.

Mar 28, 2011 6:30 AM in response to davidwardsemail

Very interesting. Are you using a MIDI/USB cable (with USB on the iPad and MIDI on the keyboard), or a USB/USB cable (with USB on the keyboard also, even though it's still MIDI signal)?

I've been using GarageBand for Mac for a long time to record with my digital piano, but perhaps I'll have to get that Camera Connection Kit after if this works. 🙂

Now (and this is off the top of my head, will look up the practicalities too), could it possible for the iPad 2 to become a sort of portable (ultra!) mixing station? As in I'm part of a small 5-person band, and currently we use a keyboard (we use the Audio Out now, but perhaps the MIDI out could be plugged into the iPad), an assortment of condenser/dynamic mics (I know there are adapters for this already), and a very large mixing station. (not the sound guy, don't know exactly how it works).

Would it be possible to replace this with an iPad (and a few cords) sitting on a table? To me that would be kind of like the ultimate small-band live performance. 🙂 Processing power I suppose would be really the only thing to stop that. Maybe I'll be able to justify that iPad 2 purchase after all. 😉

iPad GarageBand MIDI keyboard map by David Ward 14-MAR-11

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.