Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HDMI connector (digital AV adapter) not working with iPhone 4 on iOS 4.3

Has anyone successfully used this new accessory with the iPhone 4? I realize that it doesn't have the full mirroring functionality that it would with an iPad, but I believe I should be able to play video from my phone on my TV via the digital AV adapter I bought from Apple.

When I plug it in and try to play a video from my phone's iTunes library, neither the audio nor the video is transmitted through my TV, just through my iPhone. When I tap the Airplay icon within the video, it shows that it is sharing audio only to the dock, but in fact not even the audio is on my TV. Anyone else having this problem?

iMac/iPhone/AppleTV, Mac OS X (10.5.6)

Posted on Mar 14, 2011 6:54 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 15, 2011 11:58 AM

I just bought that adaptor myself since my iPad 2 will be here in a few days and it doesn't work with the iPhone 4 or the iPad 1. The TV says no signal, then plug the device into either of the two Apple products (both running 4.3) and says getting info, then screen goes blank, nothing going to TV.
23 replies

Mar 16, 2011 8:03 AM in response to taquitopete

Having spotty luck with it... see my other post in the iphone discussions...

It does work, but only some of the time - it seems to need a kick in the *** though. Sometimes it links to the TV right away, some times it takes some switching between apps or videos in the camera roll, and now for some reason, it takes plugging my wife's phone in first and then swapping phones once her's is recognized and TV output connection made before mine will output signal to the TV.

And it seems to do video only with some apps and audio only with others, and then nothing with yet others. I guess I just expected it to work, given that we both have freshly updated iphones (4.3), good cables and 2 HD TV's to test with...

Mar 17, 2011 12:50 PM in response to taquitopete

Thanks for all the comments. I'm at an Apple Store now but couldn't get a Genius Bar appointment. I'm going to try on the other TV tonight, and maybe test it out with my wife's phone too although she's got the 3GS version so I'm not sure if that works.

I've got my iPad2 on order but I was just excited to test out some of the technology ahead of time. People are apparently lining up at the store at 1 AM every night to ensure they get an iPad2 the next day before they run out. Now that's just silly.

Apr 2, 2011 4:31 AM in response to taquitopete

I got a digital AV adapter yesterday. Nothing I do will coax it to output video from my iPhone 4 to my Sony Bravia TV or Acer Projector. I know that the HDMI cable is good. I have tried YouTube, Photo Slideshow and iTunes videos - nothing. I found that the plug wasn't fully mated because of my bumper but even taking the bumper off didn't help. I rebooted the iPhone. It just doesn't workUser uploaded file

Apr 5, 2011 8:45 PM in response to dobrojoe

sorry if I jumped in late here and I am not sure if it is answered...

1. The iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4 , and iPad all have the same connection as far as video goes.
they do not support the use of the HDMI adapter.

2. Only the iPad 2 supports the HDMI output to a TV

3. even thought the iPhone 4 shoots in HD video, you can only display to a TV using the component cable OR the composite cable

4. the iPhone 5 should be HDMI output compliant (just like the iPad 2)

hope this helps

Apr 5, 2011 10:22 PM in response to gjpetri

Thanks for for your responses. I just got my iPad2 last night. Mirroring worked at first but then I unplugged the iPad from the adaptor and it no longer worked once I plugged it back in. Through trial and error, lots of rebooting my iPad2, and switching to connecting direct to my TV's HDMI input instead of through my HDMI hub, I'm able to mirror my iPad sometimes but not always. I wish I could just mirror everything via AirPlay. Having to connect to a 12 foot cable is lame.

Aug 3, 2011 1:12 PM in response to taquitopete

Im having the same problem i have an Iphone 4 i've just purchased the APPLE HDMI adaptor.. it doesnt work at all i've tried 3 different HD televisions, i've tried resetting my phone i've tried a full reboot and backup.. My iphone just says 'The Device is not optimized for your iphone you may encounter...... blah blah blah' (Even though its an apple device) i'm i doing something wrong? i've tried YouTube,Camera Roll and iPod and the Videos play on my phone but not on the television. do i need to activate Airplay or something i'm at my wits end any help would be much apreciated!! 😕

HDMI connector (digital AV adapter) not working with iPhone 4 on iOS 4.3

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.