Skip navigation

Empty red circle / spot on iphone 4 phone icon

10642 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Jan 16, 2014 8:14 AM by JC500O RSS
SilverFox9 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
Currently Being Moderated
Mar 15, 2011 6:23 AM
I've had my iphone 4 a couple of months and in the last week or two a red circle / spot appears on the phone icon and then disappears. I know usually when a red circle appears with a number in it then it means missed calls or voicemail or app updates or number of messages or emails. But what does the empty red circle mean and why does it appear and then disappear?

Anyone experienced the same or knows the answer?

Thanks
HP, Windows XP
  • Worthy.Of.Ed Calculating status...
    Mar 15, 2011 7:20 AM (in response to SilverFox9)
    The empty red circle (or badge, as they are often called) in this case applies to the visual voicemail. It means that you have no data connection, so visual voicemail is unavailable. You can still check your voicemail via the regular method, by calling in. The red circle will go away automatically when you are back in an area with a data connection.
    24" 2.93GHz iMac, 13" 2.5Ghz Aluminium Macbook, Mac OS X (10.6.6), iPhone 4 (iOS 4.3), iPad (iOS 4.3)
  • Wonderkat Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Jul 14, 2013 1:06 PM (in response to Worthy.Of.Ed)

I have a similar problem, but I get the red dot appearing when I am in the middle of a phone call, so it's not loss of signal which means that this is happening. The red dot disappears after about six seconds of hanging up a call and there are no new voicemail messages. My husband gets the same problem with his iphone 5, and my step daughter's iphone 4s. Any ideas?

• ChrisJ4203 Level 7 Level 7 (26,520 points)
    Jul 14, 2013 1:26 PM (in response to Wonderkat)

Does your carrier support visual voicemail? Since this is happening to all three devices, it sounds to me more of a carrier malfunction that a phone. Check with your carrier and ask if they can reset your account and make sure everything is set correctly for the iPhone.

• JC500O Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Jan 16, 2014 8:14 AM (in response to SilverFox9)

I appear to have the same problem whereby the red dot appears on the phone icon without no messages being present and I do not appear to be able to reset/remove it, enven though I have followed all the various threads posted above, thus the red dot pursues, aka the "scarlet pimpernail"!

If only I could reset it I would be really happy but no joy and I don't fancy performing a re-install of the IOS (7), so for now I'm having to live with it unless anyone out there know how to remove the "Scarlet Pimpernail"

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.