Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bad Music output iTunes and Airport Express

Hi, I have an Airport Express which is connected to my existing network (Airport Extreme as a router). It used to worked fine with streaming music from iTunes. I have al new updates but recently streaming music with iTunes to my Harman Kardon Go- which is connected with the AE - produces a very hollow sound, the music comes through but the vocals are not. I have reinstalled the AE and a hard reset on the AE but no result. How can I fix this, i've read that it can be related to the recent software updates or the use of WPA security passwords??? I also tried different channels. All cables connected, Harman Kardon works.

Hope someone can help otherwise this AE can be tossed into the wastebin.

iMac 21,5 "

Posted on Mar 15, 2011 10:11 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 17, 2011 3:20 PM

You need to wait. Apple updates have rendered AirTunes into a bad joke. If you have an IPad or something that can stream to the Express, try that. My iPad streams fine to one express, but when I stream from computer to 1, 2, or 3 expresses for whole hous audio, it is nothing but problems. Been streaming to 3 expresses simultaneously for 6 years flawlessly until Apple destroyed it with latest iTunes updates and firmware updates to express and extreme. *****.
6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 17, 2011 3:20 PM in response to rolandinho e

You need to wait. Apple updates have rendered AirTunes into a bad joke. If you have an IPad or something that can stream to the Express, try that. My iPad streams fine to one express, but when I stream from computer to 1, 2, or 3 expresses for whole hous audio, it is nothing but problems. Been streaming to 3 expresses simultaneously for 6 years flawlessly until Apple destroyed it with latest iTunes updates and firmware updates to express and extreme. *****.

Apr 9, 2011 3:43 AM in response to rolandinho e

I've figured it out. I performed a hard reset (original factory-settings). I did try this before but I didn't hold the reset button on the AE long enough probably. I unplugged the AE and while pushing the reset button with a pen I plugged it back. I held on long enough till the fast blinking amber light stopped. Then it worked again. Music streams are back in the way they were.

Dec 10, 2011 5:37 PM in response to vibhore agarwal

My advice to anyone trying to get their airport express to work is to take it back and get a refund. They are awful. I used 3 of them in a WDS for years, assuming it was a fabulous network, but my data rates were often poor. I thought it was Comcast. One fine day I plugged my laptop directly into the cable modem via ethernet and suddenly I had 30 Mbits/sec! Never more than 5 using the AE's.

SO, I bought a very nice looking $60 Belkin router and have never looked back. All those years I was constantly trying to get those AEs to work was for naught. My favorite trick, in addition to applying power while holding in the reset button until there were 4 green flashes, was to use the 6.1.1 firmware updater to downgrade the firmware then upgrade BACK to 6.3 (These are old ones, not 802.11n). Did that again and again, sometimes with positive results, but the only true solution was to buy the Belkin. Do not buy wifi equipment from Apple! It's overpriced and poorly designed.

Bad Music output iTunes and Airport Express

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.