Skip navigation

Storeagent process - What is it?

75532 Views 61 Replies Latest reply: Feb 4, 2014 6:51 PM by chiralos RSS
  • babowa Level 7 Level 7 (22,095 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 22, 2011 9:26 PM (in response to lkrupp)

    All the app store haters need to be aware that upgrading to OS X Lion will be through the app store only. If you got rid of the app store because you are paranoid about Storeagent you can't upgrade to Lion. You will be stuck in time. Good luck.

     

    I'm not an App Store hater - actually I wouldn't mind checking it out. However, I do take my privacy very seriously and I do not feel comfortable having a background process automatically scan my entire hard drive and report the findings without my initiating that process. So, I am hoping that there will be a different way to obtain thew new OS (legally, of course) which, at some point, really will become a necessity for a myriad of reasons (bandwidth limits/throttling, slow DSL, system restore to bring up a few). The only info available right now is that you need 10.6.7 and the app store if you want to upgrade on day one - no mention of anything past that.

  • Star1 Level 2 Level 2 (465 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 22, 2011 10:04 PM (in response to Naoarkjp)

    Hi,

    if you don't use the App Store you get rid of it with "Nuke The App Store".

    Even the 'app store' in the Apple menu'll reverse to "Mac OS X Software...".

    I'm using it for several months now without any adverse problems.

  • Star1 Level 2 Level 2 (465 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 23, 2011 1:04 AM (in response to Star1)

    Hi again,

    I'd like to add that a few days ago I installed the 'OS X Lion DP 4.dmg' and un-installed a few hours later since it dis-abled my mouse + the access to my NAS Drive (where I had stored the Lion download & didn't have access to it afterwards {well I was hoping I could uninstall with the Installer}) I had to restore from my Time Machine back-up....

    Also couldn't install from my SL DVD since it was saying something about 'too old Installer' to install over the Lion...

    Pretty crappy.

  • ds store Level 7 Level 7 (30,305 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 23, 2011 5:14 AM (in response to Star1)

    Star1 wrote:

     

    I had to restore from my Time Machine back-up....

     

    ...couldn't install from my SL DVD since it was saying something about 'too old Installer' to install over the Lion...

     

    1: Don't use TimeMachine, use Carbon Copy Cloner instead, it's hold option bootable, reverse clone

     

    2: Use Disk Utility Erase w/Zero from the install disk utilities menu first to wipe a newer OS version.

  • Star1 Level 2 Level 2 (465 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 23, 2011 10:02 AM (in response to ds store)

    Hi ds store,

    I didn't ask for a help, just describing what happened - I'm quite fluent with Mac & PC OSes...

  • babowa Level 7 Level 7 (22,095 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 23, 2011 11:41 AM (in response to Star1)

    You may be fluent, but you apparently did not read your NDA - you are not to mention or discuss anything related to a not-yet-released OS anywhere except on the special forums provided.

  • bluzgtr Calculating status...
    Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 26, 2011 7:05 AM (in response to crsrusl)

    Some of the replies on this thread indicate that some of you know how to see the data that programs are sending when they "phone home." May I inquire how this is done?

     

    I am asking because Little Snitch tells me 3rd party Magic Mouse driver Magic Prefs phones home every time I turn on my computer, and every time I wake my computer from sleep. I fail to see any reason why a mouse driver should have to phone home so much. In my case, this is around 20 times a day. As a matter of curiosity, I'd like to know what info it's sending.

     

    Thanks for your time

     

    Larry

  • WZZZ Level 6 Level 6 (11,880 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 26, 2011 7:29 AM (in response to bluzgtr)

    I can't see any rhyme or reason for a lot of the phoning home that Apple apps do. You could easily just Deny permanently. Nothing bad will happen; the mouse will never know it.

  • bluzgtr Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 9, 2011 12:52 PM (in response to WZZZ)

    THanks, Wzzz. I knew that option was available. Thing is, I'm a curious guy (probably why I earn my living as an investigator). I'd like to take a look at the data that's going out of my machine. What if the local Defense Attorneys Association put a keylogger on it?

     

    Just kidding. But I would like to know what this and other programs send when I'm not initiating the communication.

     

    Larry

  • WZZZ Level 6 Level 6 (11,880 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 9, 2011 5:34 PM (in response to bluzgtr)

    IIRC, somewhere in this huge thread, if you have the wherewithal (or if you are sufficiently masochistic) to review it in its entirety, you will come across some possible answers for what the storeagent process may be phoning home -- or at least some good questions.

     

    I think at least some of the phoning home that Apple processes do is just to say say, "I'm here." But a number of people in this thread were wary that personal data might be sent out.

  • Babaqum Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 4, 2011 3:56 AM (in response to lkrupp)

    lkrupp wrote:

     

    All the app store haters need to be aware that upgrading to OS X Lion will be through the app store only. If you got rid of the app store because you are paranoid about Storeagent you can't upgrade to Lion. You will be stuck in time. Good luck.

    Biggest BS ever?

     

    I know a ton of people who never used the MAS and are on Lion. What you write is simply not true. End of discussion. Makes me angry to read commments like this of people that obviously have on clue of what they are talking about and no tech insight at all as it seems.

  • Csound1 Level 7 Level 7 (32,380 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 4, 2011 4:26 AM (in response to Babaqum)

    Babaqum wrote:

     

    lkrupp wrote:

     

    All the app store haters need to be aware that upgrading to OS X Lion will be through the app store only. If you got rid of the app store because you are paranoid about Storeagent you can't upgrade to Lion. You will be stuck in time. Good luck.

    Biggest BS ever?

     

    I know a ton of people who never used the MAS and are on Lion. What you write is simply not true. End of discussion. Makes me angry to read commments like this of people that obviously have on clue of what they are talking about and no tech insight at all as it seems.

    And on June 22 2011 when this was originally posted you didn't know any Lion users, time passes, things change, you are 2 and a half months late to the party.

  • Babaqum Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 4, 2011 4:33 AM (in response to Csound1)

    Csound1 wrote:

     

    Babaqum wrote:

     

    lkrupp wrote:

     

    All the app store haters need to be aware that upgrading to OS X Lion will be through the app store only. If you got rid of the app store because you are paranoid about Storeagent you can't upgrade to Lion. You will be stuck in time. Good luck.

    Biggest BS ever?

     

    I know a ton of people who never used the MAS and are on Lion. What you write is simply not true. End of discussion. Makes me angry to read commments like this of people that obviously have on clue of what they are talking about and no tech insight at all as it seems.

    And on June 22 2011 when this was originally posted you didn't know any Lion users, time passes, things change, you are 2 and a half months late to the party.

    Sure thing. But I also didn't open my mouth concerning things I would then have been unable to judge. Doing so and then also judging users who don't like Apples intrusiveness to be hillbillies is not cool - at all. And no, the party is still running as this interesting discussion obviously shows. Also all those App Store questions and storeagent issues remain unsolved. No one knows what data is sent no one knows how much bandwidth is used. No one knows why Apple does it and Apple officials to not explain.

  • Csound1 Level 7 Level 7 (32,380 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 4, 2011 4:31 AM (in response to Babaqum)

    Babaqum wrote:

     

    Csound1 wrote:

     

    Babaqum wrote:

     

    lkrupp wrote:

     

    All the app store haters need to be aware that upgrading to OS X Lion will be through the app store only. If you got rid of the app store because you are paranoid about Storeagent you can't upgrade to Lion. You will be stuck in time. Good luck.

    Biggest BS ever?

     

    I know a ton of people who never used the MAS and are on Lion. What you write is simply not true. End of discussion. Makes me angry to read commments like this of people that obviously have on clue of what they are talking about and no tech insight at all as it seems.

    And on June 22 2011 when this was originally posted you didn't know any Lion users, time passes, things change, you are 2 and a half months late to the party.

    Sure thing. But I also didn't open my mouth concerning thing I would then have been unable to judge. And no, the party is still running as this interesting discussion obviously shows.

    You're the only one left now that I'm gone.

  • Babaqum Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 4, 2011 4:34 AM (in response to Csound1)

    K, then maybe I'll continue talking to myself. See ya.

Actions

More Like This

  • Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Legend

  • This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.