Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

NY Times Downloadable to Read Offline?

I will download the NY Times app. And I am a NY Times subscriber. Is there a way to download the entire NY Times for one day (Sunday edition for example), to read offline on the airplane? Thanks!

iPad 2, iOS 4

Posted on Mar 15, 2011 5:52 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 15, 2011 6:01 PM

Hi,

I'm not sure if that can be done, but click Help top right corner of the NY Times site here.

http://www.nytimes.com/pages/todayspaper/index.html

Carolyn 🙂
6 replies

Mar 15, 2011 6:31 PM in response to Carolyn Samit

I read their help and it says this:

Yes. The NYTimes iPad application was designed to store content locally on your iPad. Once you have completed the sync process, you will be able to access stored and saved content, even if Airplane Mode is activated or you do not have cellular network coverage. Note that only articles that have been fully downloaded will be available for offline reading.

What do they mean "complete the sync process". What does that have to do with installing the NY Times app and then downloading articles?

Mar 15, 2011 6:39 PM in response to Question Guy

I think it means once the NYT has synced the news files to the iPad. But regardless, each time I invoke the app, the screen shows the old front page and a little later the screen changes to the new news. There have been times that I was in the middle of an article when I shut it down and when I invoke it, the page still shows that article. So I think that NYT caches the downloaded articles so you can read them before it can download newer material.

Mar 15, 2011 7:41 PM in response to Question Guy

If you want to read the New York Times off line you must load the app first. Try this... Load the New York Times app... Now go to setting and turn on the Airplane Mode, this will turn off the wifi/internet. Now go back to the New York app, you can now read everything in the New York app offline. The whole content of the NY app is there ready to read. There is on exception, photos don't per load and will be missing on pages that you haven't gone to when you were online.

NY Times Downloadable to Read Offline?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.