Skip navigation

How to remove Geotags in iPhone 4 photos

19938 Views 9 Replies Latest reply: Jun 2, 2013 10:44 AM by 172FO RSS
Caramel Macchiato Level 1 Level 1 (85 points)
Currently Being Moderated
Mar 15, 2011 6:03 PM
Hello gentlemen and ladies and friends,

I don't seem to find a search query result under "remove geotags" in iPhone photo files. I don't want to post some of my iPhone photos on Facebook due to personal and security reason (don't want people to snoop around or knowing where I live in Canada). Not only that, I simply don't trust Facebook for some reason.

However, I would like to know if any possible way to remove geotag info in metadata or XML in Aperture. I realize that I forgot to "disable" the geotags in iPhone 4 the other night taking photos of my cooking result.

I would appreciate some guideline and suggestion and alternate way to remove geotags for only Facebook photos.

Thanks in advance! Have a pleasant, amazing evening (or day)!

Warmest regards, Brian aka Caramel Macchiato
Mac Pro | MBP Unibody 17" | Mac mini SL Server | iPhone 4 | iPad | TV |, Mac OS X (10.6.6), Adobe Design Premium CS5 | Ap 3.1.1 | ColorMunki Photo
  • Kirby Krieger Level 6 Level 6 (11,550 points)
    Mar 15, 2011 6:41 PM (in response to Caramel Macchiato)
    Hi Brian,

First choice -- and really everything else pales in comparison -- is to use the iPhone 3. For postage alone, I will supply one to you in exchange for your iPhone4. As I'm sure you can understand, due to current market considerations, the iPhone 3 I can make available to you shows some signs of use -- but, rest assured, this in no way affects its functioning.

Barring that, I suggest using +"Metadata→Remove Locations"+ . Location information shows in a couple of different places in the metadata, so you should confirm that this has the desired effect prior to posting your culinary delights on-line.

You might look into exporting without metadata. I don't use Facebook, so I don't know to what extent you need the other metadata.

Cheers.
    MacBook Pro 13", Mac OS X (10.6.6), 4 G / 500 G internal / 4 TB external / NEC 2490 / ColorMunki Photo / Sony a850
  • Tony Gay Level 4 Level 4 (1,625 points)
    Mar 15, 2011 9:10 PM (in response to Caramel Macchiato)
    There are also a few 3rd party options that run standalone. I did a quick search on the terms

stripping metadata from images, mac osx

and came up with a number of options. I have never had a need to do this so am unable to vouch for any.

Let us know how you go and what is the most effective solution for you.

Tony
    Mac Pro Dual 3GHz Quad Core 12GB RAM, RadeonX1900 512MBVRAM, Dual 23" screens, Mac OS X (10.6.6), http://library.digital-image.com.au
  • Jim Calderwood Level 4 Level 4 (3,215 points)
    Mar 16, 2011 2:53 AM (in response to Caramel Macchiato)
    If it's just the geotags you're concerned about then Preferences>Export and untick the box "include location information in exported photos" should do what you want. This has the advantage of keeping the geotags on the images in your library for future reference.
    2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo iMac 4 GB Ram, 24in Screen: 15in MacBook Pro 4GB Ram, Mac OS X (10.6.6), iPhone 3G 18 GB: iPad WiFi 16GB
  • CorkyO2 Level 4 Level 4 (1,290 points)
    Mar 18, 2011 8:28 AM (in response to Caramel Macchiato)
     Mac Pro (Early 2008) QC 2.8 Ghz, Mac OS X (10.6.6)
  • deaconous Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Jul 15, 2011 8:58 AM (in response to Caramel Macchiato)

Brian, you may already have received a good answer, but there's a free app called Pixelgarde Photo Privacy Editor, which lets you remove geotags, etc. I'd suggest trying it to see if it does what you need it to.

• FundusX Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Apr 9, 2013 10:40 AM (in response to Caramel Macchiato)

Hello,

Try SmallImage2 software for mac . Its free and will remove all geo-tags and will even resize photos.

http://www.iconus.ch/fabien/products/sieng/sieng.html

Download the link in red, it works for newer Macs.

Give it a try.

• 172FO Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Jun 2, 2013 10:44 AM (in response to Caramel Macchiato)

Screen caps are not Geo Tagged. Find your image, screen capture it, confirm it's the right image before sharing to Facebook, delete when you no longer need the dup.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.