8 Replies Latest reply: May 11, 2013 10:06 PM by Amrut223
v8media Level 1 Level 1 (15 points)
Just got a Netgear N300 to replace, well, my older Apple laptops being used with internet sharing. I thought my connection was bad, but decided to finally get a wireless router to replace the computers as sharing devices and it works so much better!

Now, to the question. The N300 is capable of 300 Mbit/s speed connections, but my 2009 Mac Mini is listing my link speed (in Network Utility) as 130. So obviously just getting a bit less than a 150 connection. Is there anything I have to do to get the 300 connection? Are the 2009 Mac Minis capable of the dual speed connections? All I'm finding is "N" for the wireless specs.

Here's the info from the system profiler:
Card Type: AirPort Extreme (0x14E4, 0x90)
Firmware Version: Broadcom BCM43xx 1.0 (5.10.131.36.1)

Thanks, Ian

Mac Mini 2009, Mac OS X (10.6.6), 8GB RAM, 250GB SSD
  • William Boyd, Jr. Level 6 Level 6 (10,515 points)
    v8media wrote:
    Is there anything I have to do to get the 300 connection? Are the 2009 Mac Minis capable of the dual speed connections?

I'm not sure what you mean by "dual speed".

Here's the info from the system profiler:

Look a little further down that list of information. What you're looking for should be identified as "Signal / Noise". Then use the information in this post

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=10329543&start=1

to analyze the values you see. The better the signal-to-noise (SNR) ratio, the higher the link speed can be.
  • v8media Level 1 Level 1 (15 points)
    I have a studio apartment. I'm getting great signal, about 40db SNR according to that method. This is either a setting or compatibility issue.

I thought initial N routers were capable of 150 Mbit/s, and then the routers capable of 300 Mbit/s were put out. I have seen pages where it sounds like the 300 speed was gotten by ganging up two signals of 150. Hence my use of "dual speed". This may not be correct now and might only have been used on the initial units capable of 300.

So the question is, how do I get more speed between my Mac Mini and Netgear N300? Is it buying a new Mac Mini? Or are there settings I should be trying to find on either device?

Thanks again, Ian
    v8media wrote:
    I thought initial N routers were capable of 150 Mbit/s, and then the routers capable of 300 Mbit/s were put out.

According to the electronic book "Take Control of Your 802.11n AirPort Network v1.6" (http://www.takecontrolbooks.com/airport-n) published in 9/09, 802.11n has a "raw speed" of 300 Mbps and a "maximum throughput" of 140 Mbps. So you may be seeing about the best you can expect.

I have no relationship with Take Control Books other than that of a customer.
    Interesting. I've found comments of people getting 270 Mbit/s connections with their Macs though. Just found one on here: http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1993344 (last post) that makes it sound like I might be limited because of having the device in a b/g compatible mode, or potentially because I have b or g devices. I tried cutting it to just my Mac Mini and still saw the same thing.

This user is getting 240-270 Mbps:
    http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=11290320

Just for completeness, the full model of my router is the N300 WNR3500L. I have gone into the router settings and it is currently set to 300 (there are options of 145 and 54 as well). This is currently the only machine accessing the wireless.

When you open Network Utility and select your airport in the Info tab, you should see the link speed. I should be seeing 270 Mbit/s, but only see 130 Mbit/s. This doesn't appear to be the actual throughput, but instead, the "speed rating" of the link, ie, doesn't vary depending on how fast the data is flying.
    v8media wrote:
    I've found comments of people getting 270 Mbit/s connections with their Macs though.

I'm not disputing that, but I have no further explanation or advice on how to improve your throughput.

When you open Network Utility and select your airport in the Info tab, you should see the link speed.

You should also see it if you hold down an "option" key when you click on the AirPort item in the menu bar.
    Found a Mac Rumors post where somebody asked the same question. It might be a 2.4ghz vs 5ghz thing. The Apple hardware might default to 130 for the 2.4ghz, and 270 for the 5ghz.
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=646758. This is also possibly partially why it sounds like Mac users aren't having problems getting some faster speeds on their Time Machines (what an odd sentence), as they're capable of 5ghz.

Though oddly, I went through all the channels on the router to see if there were differences. All channels had a link speed of 130, besides channel 9, which had a link speed of 117. All were at 2.4ghz, as that's all this router does.

I think I might just deal with it, as it's working great. I generally move drives around if I have a large project anyway, so doubling this network speed wouldn't help terribly much.

I'll just leave this open for a bit in case anyone else has anything interesting to add.
  • fridtear Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Unfortunately, I have the same problem with my mid-2011 MAC Mini. The maximum connection rate of WIFI never goes beyond 150 Mbit/s. I'm using an Airport Express router and have set it to 5GHz only which doesn't help either. Meanwhile the other laptop from Acer which is the old one I used to work with goes all the way up to 300Mbit/s when connecting to the same Airport Express router. What a shame!

Does anyone else has managed to connect your MAC Mini to any router with a speed of above 150Mbit/s?

• Amrut223 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Hi,

Just thought I would chime in and clear somethings up for you guys and girls.

To achieve 300Mbps on your wireless N routers you will need to have set the channel width to Turbo 40MHz. If the channel width is set to it's defaul Full 20MHz then the max throughput is 130Mbps. Most wireless routers have an option to change channel width but if you have DD-WRT installed then it's as simple as navigating to your wireless tab and setting the channel width there.

Also if your router has set the Tx dBm to high then you will also have a weaker signal thus poor signral stream and throughput.