Skip navigation

Still pictures blurry in FCP

11277 Views 23 Replies Latest reply: Aug 10, 2013 9:11 PM by snappler RSS
1 2 Previous Next
Brooke77 Calculating status...
Currently Being Moderated
Mar 15, 2011 9:44 PM
I'm having a similar problem to other discussions I've seen on here, I just can't find the correct solution for me.

My still pictures are coming out blurry. It may look great in the viewer but in the canvas it looks blurry. This is not the case with all still pictures, just some. It doesn't help to export the final video out to QuickTime and view it on a tv or computer. (I've read some formus that say that fixed their problem.) I'm assuming it's the issue of the canvas/sequence has a lower resolution than the picture that's coming out blurry. But how can I fix that problem? Is there a something I can change in the sequence settings to make it look like it's supposed to? And if I do change the settings will that mess with anything else in my sequence? (I mean the video as a whole- there is video, still, pictures, effects, etc on the sequence.) Also, I do not have Photoshop to mess with the picture.

Oh and yes, I've rendered my face off so that isn't the problem either.

Thanks so much in advance!
MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.6)
  • Patrick Sheffield Level 7 Level 7 (29,175 points)
    Mar 15, 2011 11:16 PM (in response to Brooke77)
    Make sure your scaling and or X/Y positioning are whole numbers (not fractions). i.e. 100% not 98.7%

Patrick

Octo 3 GHz Intel, Mac OS X (10.5.6), 5 GB RAM, ATI x1900, Decklink HD Extreme
  • Meg The Dog Level 6 Level 6 (9,370 points)
    Mar 15, 2011 11:20 PM (in response to Brooke77)
    What is the source of your pictures?
    Do you know their native pixel dimensions?
    Are the ones that appear blurry when placed on the timeline originally very small (like images taken from the internet, for example)?

MtD
    Mac OS X (10.6.6), I'm not a real editor, I just play one on TV.
    Mar 16, 2011 1:03 PM (in response to Brooke77)
    Hi -
    Click anywhere in the timeline, type Command + 0 (zero) and report what your sequence settings are.

Thanks

MtD
  • Christina Rodriguez Level 4 Level 4 (1,360 points)
    Mar 16, 2011 1:19 PM (in response to Brooke77)
    What are your sequence settings?

if you have nothing else, you can use Apple Preview.

You can crop (with the select tool, then command- K)
    and reduce the size in (Tools > Adjust Size)

Message was edited by: Christina Rodriguez
    iMac 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7, Mac OS X (10.6.6), 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR
    Mar 16, 2011 1:33 PM (in response to Brooke77)
    Well, the really blurry foto is low resolution... so if you are using it larger then 100%, it will look blurry. You can try and increase the pixel count (as I stated earlier, you can use Preview) But don't expect fantastic results.

As for the big images, try to keep you images no larger than 1440 x 960 as images that are scaled down considerably tend to look bad in FCP.
    Mar 16, 2011 1:38 PM (in response to Brooke77)
    Hi -
    Are you scaling up the vertical images (479 x 639) to fill frame? If so you are enlarging them quite a bit, and anytime you enlarge an image, you will see the sharpness decrease.

Couple this with your DV codec, which is at the bottom of acceptable imaging codecs to begin with, and your expectation may be exceeding what the combination of small source images and editing codec can supply.

And, to add to the problem, jpegs can range from very high quality to very, very compressed images. If your original images are highly compressed jpegs, that may be adding to the problem.

The best way to help with this problem would be to obtain higher quality source images - the same images in a large frame size. As you have already discovered you get much better results reducing a large image to fit the screen then enlarging a small image to fit the screen.

If this in not possible, you just need to use your judgement as to how far you can enlarge the image before it starts to look objectionable.

MtD
    Mar 16, 2011 2:01 PM (in response to Brooke77)
    Hi -
    When you are reducing an image, you are removing excess pixels to have it display in the correct frame size. All the pixels that remain in the image are the same pixels that were in the original image, there are just fewer of them.

When you enlarge and image, FCP must add pixels that it best guesses belong there - sometimes by repeating adjacent pixels, sometimes by applying algorithms to best guess what the pixels should look like that it is adding in. But these are just guesses.
    So when you enlarge, you end up with pixels that were never in the original photo.

MtD

Message was edited by: Meg The Dog
  • Patrick Sheffield Level 7 Level 7 (29,175 points)
    Mar 16, 2011 2:09 PM (in response to Brooke77)
    So, what was your scaling when you had a 479x639 image?

Patrick

Octo 3 GHz Intel, Mac OS X (10.5.6), 5 GB RAM, ATI x1900, Decklink HD Extreme
    Mar 16, 2011 2:15 PM (in response to Patrick Sheffield)
    Hey Patrick, Got your book!
    Mar 16, 2011 2:56 PM (in response to Brooke77)
    Are you sure the colorspace of the image is RGB? Select it in your finder, hit command-I, what details does it state?
1 2 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.