Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iSight in-built cam

After I updated Microsoft Silverlight I noticed that my camera would not be switched on except through opening Silverlight. Is this normal? Usually it turned on when I turned on my Mac. Do I have to first turn on Silverlight and then Skype to be able to have my cam on? Thanks.

Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Mar 16, 2011 4:18 AM

4 replies

Mar 16, 2011 4:46 AM in response to luhmann

Welcome to the forums!

Hard to see a connection between Silverlight and your iSight camera.

Make certain that you are downloading SilverLight v.1.0 for OS X (10.4.8 upwards) if you are using a PPC Mac, but even this will not work with Safari 4. Version 2 only works with Intel Macs and does work with Safari 4/5. The solution is to download and install the latest version of Flip4Mac, which now includes a Silverlight component:

http://dynamic.telestream.net/downloads/download-flip4macwmv.htm

But the latest news is that Microsoft will probably abandon Silverlight in favour of HTML5:

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/10/10/29/applesios_pushes_microsoft_to_dial_down_silverlight_forhtml5.html and

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-11673384

Recommendation: Close all applications before installing any of the above, repair permissions, reboot, and repair permissions again.

Mar 16, 2011 1:39 PM in response to luhmann

Hi,

Welcome to the  Discussions

I do not use Silverlight.
My understanding though is it is similar to Flash in that it can be used to control the Camera when using certain web sites (not sure it caught on that well) with a Browser (uses Plug-in like Flash).

Although like Flash it can be used to do much more it should not take control of your camera in the manner you seem to describe.

Your wording has me wondering a bit about what you were trying to say.

Do you just mean that it seems you have to Start Silverlight just to access the camera in any other App ?

Or do you mean your camera was On and showing the green Like just be starting up the Mac ?

The second should also not happen unless in System Preferences > Accounts > (your account) > Login Items you have something that uses the camera with a preview window or similar open on launch.

To be clear. You can set iChat in the Login Items and it will start when the computer does.
It will not make the camera Green light appear until you start a Video Chat (Or an Audio chat if it is an external camera and uses any Mic in the camera).
iChat will not re-open the Preview or the Preferences Pane (At Video section) if they were open at Close/Quit so the camera should not be in us.

It is a very long time since I use Skype but I don't remember it's actions be any different.

User uploaded file

8:39 PM Wednesday; March 16, 2011

Please, if posting Logs, do not post any Log info after the line "Binary Images for iChat"

iSight in-built cam

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.