Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

experience with camptune to resize partitions

After reading lots of threads about CampTune, I thought I would post my experience in case anyone else tries it.

When I discovered I couldn't increase the size of my BC partition without deleting and reinstalling it, I was pretty desperate to try anything that would not create the days of work involved. I bought CampTune on the Paragon site.

In summary, it worked ... but not smoothly at all. In the end, it was well worth the $20 but there were headaches along the way.

So, in case anyone else has the same challenges, here's my $0.02:

- after purchase, product key didnt work but Paragon corrected after 24 hours waiting

- CampTune requires that you burn a cd then boot from that cd. Easy enough.

- CampTune includes a nifty little backup tool for the paranoid folks like myself. (I have read lots of unfortunate stories from people that didnt backup before using CampTune so back it up and save yourself.)

- First try to resize the partition generated a Disk i/o error. So, I defrag'ed in XP and tried again.

- second try generated a 'cross-linked files' error. In Mac OS disk utility partition tab, I stretched the Mac partition to include all of the space between the 2 partitions. (there was some evidence from postings online that this is a problem) Then, in Mac OS disk utility, I ran repair disk. In XP, I ran chkdsk /r.

- third time was a charm! Worked perfectly and both partitions are now humming away nicely.

Hope this saves someone the headaches I had!

cheers!

macbook, Windows XP

Posted on Mar 16, 2011 7:58 AM

12 replies

Mar 16, 2011 8:36 AM in response to sfo123

Thanks -

Two thoughts I'd ask:

Did you modify or change the partitions yourself, to create the 'gap' between partitions? or was that the result of first attempt to use CampTune?

CampTune can also be used to take the place of Boot Camp Assistant; create an NTFS partition directly (unlike BCA which uses FAT32);

Paragon has a very reliable feature "Clone OS to SSD" for Windows that works on any type of hard drive (great for moving and resizing partition size to another hard drive);

I've seen that error from Windows 7's shared libraries or hard coded links used to relocate directories, mount points, folders (mount a drive in an empty folder) or move a folder to another designated location.

I think a chkdsk should always be done before running, along with sfc /scannow (system file checker) "just in case."

http://www.paragon-software.com/home/camptune/

Mar 16, 2011 3:03 PM in response to The hatter

Thanks for the additional info.

I had not modified the partition after creating them originally so I think the gap was a result of the 1st CampTune attempt.

I agree - I should have done all of those steps before attempting to resize the partition but I was hoping it would 'magically' work without having any extra effort on my part. 🙂

Aug 4, 2011 10:03 AM in response to sfo123

Important !

You can, with Camp Tune, increase your Boot Camp partition size and down-size your Mac partition, as long as you remember to re-format your Windows in NTFS.

HOW (to format your Windows partition from FAT32 to NTFS) : It's a simple command line in Windows, though it requires a bit of patience, including an automatic reboot or two to complete the process. In Windows, run the command "convert c: /fs:ntfs" without the quotation marks and change c to another drive if needed..

I am doing that myself : it went fine (i.e. Camp Tune), but I am restarting the process as my Windows was in FAT32 prior to running Camp Tune.

Remember to make a back-up of your Mac (Time Machine) and of your Windows partition (Camp Tune).

Cheers

Aug 5, 2011 6:59 PM in response to The hatter

My message explains that you MUST be in NTFS format prior to trying to inscrease your partition beyond the default 32 GB.

I am informed (I hope it is true), that with Mac OS 10.6 and beyond, Boot Camp now allows to create bigger partitions in NTFS. With Mac OS 10.4 and 10.5, Boot Camp only creates a 32 GB FAT32 partition, hence the need for CampTune.

Thank you.

Aug 9, 2011 11:08 PM in response to iMicLes

EDIT - Important :

To feel socially responsible, I must warn that using CampTune on an existing Windows installation, that you converted from FAT32 to NTFS, is a very messy and painful process, as file permissions get screwed around. I just spent about two days running disk repairs (the CHKDSK tool, which can take over 5 hours!), fixing my user profile in safe-mode boot, fixing permissions, and so on. Therefore, I really recommend to anyone to just install a fresh Windows with CampTune (if you are using Mac OS 10.4 or 10.5) or with the new BootCamp system by upgrading to Mac OS 10.6 (only cost 30$ surprisingly [I am told, in MacOS 10.6, BootCamp can now create partitions in NTFS larger than 32GB. I have not seen it for myself.]).

nb: Moreover, if with CampTune you try restoring a Windows back-up on a new partition, you can have very bad surprises... (as above or worse) I was hoping CampTune would avoid these pits and traps, but it does not.

Sep 19, 2013 11:12 AM in response to sfo123

Since the original post is from 2011, I though I would offer the experience I had recently with Camptune.

CONTEXT: Yesterday, I bought a new MacBook Pro (Retina, 13"). I used Bootcamp to create a partition (formatted NTFS - that was the only choice) and installed Windows 7 professional. All good.

When I made the bootcamp partition I split my drive 50/50 (i.e. 250GB for the Mac and Windows/Bootcamp partitions). Within hours I had second thoughts because I will use this machine primarily as a Windows machine. I felt I had made a mistake to not make my Bootcamp partition larger.

Because I had just bought the computer (and had only invested a day of my time) I figured that I would bit the bullet and go throught the process of killing my Bootcamp partition, recreating it, reinstalling Windows, etc. before going futher down the path of getting my machine "all set up" and ready to use.

I did some searching online before beginning the process and I'm so glad I did. I just installed CampTune X (through a digital download), installed the product, and changed my partition size. The whole process (front to back) took about 15 minutes.

I realize that I might be a slightly different situtation than most with a new/clean machine already formatted to NTFS. I have seen others have problems due to FAT partitions and matching versions of Mac OS with a compatible version of Camptune. But I have to say that my experience was flawless and the $19.99 was TOTALLY worth it.

Feb 24, 2014 8:52 PM in response to sfo123

I will second mrspez. Bought a MBP 15" retina recently and bootcamped a win7 64 bit into a 60 gb partition. When finished, it was tight with only 10 gb free space. I need the win partition to run some scientific equipment and 10gb would be about 2 weeks of data.

I turned off FileVault (30 min to decrypt) time machine backed up my Maverics partition (~45 minutes on gigabit Ethernet to my NAS) backed up windows with backup assistant (about 1/2 hr on same Ethernet to same NAS) then used camp tune to resize the partitions. That took about 15 minutes.

So all in all camp tune saved me about 2 hrs from having to re-wipe the partitions and restore from backups. $10 an hour for my time? Thats the new minimum wage. Worth it.

Aug 18, 2015 7:07 AM in response to sfo123

Thought I'd my experience because while this is an old thread, it still comes up pretty high on the google searches. I was in a similar situation that most people, I rarely use bootcamp; I'm mostly in OS X so I originally created a 60 Gigabyte partition, and I was often fighting for space in spite of only really using web browsers and MS office, so wanted to increase to 90Gig.

My setup: Early 2014 MBP Retina 15", OS X Yosemite, 512 SSD encrypted with file vault. bootcamp 5.1, with a VM installed as Windows 8.1 upgraded to 10 (It was the upgrade to win 10 that took my freespace down to zero). I was paranoid about loosing data, so I actually backed up 2 different ways first, and checked both filesystems (NTFS and OSX's) before starting, this ended up taking longer than camptjne.

With Camptune X (Version 10) the experience was shockingly easy, no need for a bootable CD or anything else, and you no longer need to decrypt via FileVault. The product was simple, just run it and move the slide, I found the hardest thing was to get through the activation process. I will however say that I dispute the claim that it changes your partitions in minutes, it's really more like a full hour (maybe a little more, I wasn't looking at the clock). When it starts the operation, for all intensive purposes it seemed that the computer was locked up; I could use other apps, mouse would respond, but nothing was clickable, and even the light went out on the battery. I didn't force restart because I was afraid of the state I was in and glad I waited it out, after an hour or so it was done. (FYI 45 minutes of the hour was on zero percent on the progress bar, so don't be alarmed if this happens to you).

For me it was well worth it.... I would have had to decrypt, resize OS X, then use some sort of other partition manager to resize windows (or worse, reinstall win 8.1, and upgrade again to 10, taking hours), then encrypt again with file vault, so the 20 bucks for Camptune probably saved me a day worth of effort. I also bought their NTFS driver at the same time which, while another 20 bucks, is already saving me a ton of time, since with it, I can read / write NTFS data from my mac, making it easier to move data to and from Bootcamp (before I'd use a USB Key).

experience with camptune to resize partitions

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.