Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Aperture saving layered TIFF files incorrectly from CS5

Hello All--
I've had a problem for some time now.

The short and no so sweet:
I open a RAW file as a TIFF file in CS5 directly from Aperture. I work on the file in CS5, incorporating layer masks, etc. and then save the final version back to aperture as a layered TIFF file. This is where the problem occurs. Aperture corrupts the file upon saving. When I try and view the file in Aperture, it only displays a portion of the image (or one of the masks) and that's it.

Right now, it seems to happen at random. Super frustrating as I never really know when it will or won't occur. Has anyone else experienced this problem? I found an old post here that seemed to note the same issue on a much older version of Aperture ( http://discussions.apple.com/message.jspa?messageID=3343863). I'm currently running the latest version of Aperture.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Adam Barker

<URL Edited by Host>

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.6)

Posted on Mar 16, 2011 8:51 AM

10 replies

Mar 16, 2011 9:44 AM in response to Jim Calderwood

I have exported the files and tried opening them in several applications and it is still a corrupted file, meaning the issue is with Aperture (I assume).

Jim--I need to save these images as layered files. Flattening them would kill my ability to adjust the image (and/or specific layers) in the future if/when needed. So flattening the files is not the answer--I need to figure out where the bug is in Aperture.

Thank you both for your replies.

Message was edited by: Grizzle6

Mar 16, 2011 11:37 AM in response to Grizzle6

First of all, Aperture does not save files. It may not properly display the file that CS5 saved, but it didn't save it.

When you say you've exported the files and they appear corrupt, do you mean export version or export master. The later will export exactly what CS5 saved.

If you have extra channels- other than R, G, B and the RGB composite channel- in Photoshop including saved selections (but not including layer masks which only appear in the Channels Panel when the layer is active) it will not display properly in Aperture.

This goes back to version 1.0. If you need to save a channel, save it as a disabled layer mask. You can easily test to see if this is the problem: Open two images in Photoshop and save a channel in one of them but not the other. See how Aperture handles them.

DLS

Aperture saving layered TIFF files incorrectly from CS5

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.