Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to REINSTALL SL... "This drive can't be changed"

Hey all,

A few days go I tried to boot into SL, but was unsuccessful. I noticed the boot up screen (Gray apple + spinner)... However, this time around, I also noticed a status/progress bar directly below the spinner.

After about ~20 seconds, the computer would automatically shut down without getting anywhere.

I can get into Boot Camp with no issues. I can even access my Macintosh partition from Windows without any issues. The files are also working fine.

My attempts to reinstall SL has been hampered by the error message in my subject. Is it necessary for me to remove Boot Camp and recombine it with the primary drive before the installation? Is it possible to keep BOOT CAMP intact?

I'm tempted to try to just "format" the Macintosh drive without touching Boot Camp, but I want to field some suggestions before I proceed.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

iMac Late 2010/Macbook Early 2008, Mac OS X (10.6.6)

Posted on Mar 16, 2011 12:46 PM

4 replies

Mar 16, 2011 12:53 PM in response to kl323

kl323 wrote:
A few days go I tried to boot into SL, but was unsuccessful. I noticed the boot up screen (Gray apple + spinner)... However, this time around, I also noticed a status/progress bar directly below the spinner.

After about ~20 seconds, the computer would automatically shut down without getting anywhere.

Welcome to Apple's discussion groups.

I'd first boot into "safe mode" ( http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1455) by holding down a "shift" key during the boot process. This will run the equivalent of a Disk Utility "disk repair" operation. If that doesn't help, then I'd boot from the system installation discs that came with your Mac. Early in the installation process you'll see a Utilities menu. Run Disk Utility from that and tell it to do a disk repair.

Mar 16, 2011 1:13 PM in response to William-Boyd-Jr

Thanks for the quick replies.

I already tried Disk Utility to repair any issues. However, I can't fix permissions or repair the disk. I'm getting an error about not being able to make changes to the disk.

I guess I'll go with the reformat of the Macintosh partition.

Can someone explain why I can't install SL on top of an old install using the DVD?

Thanks!

Mar 16, 2011 1:22 PM in response to Kappy

Select the startup volume's icon on your Desktop. Press COMMAND-I to open the Get Info window. At the bottom is the Sharing and Ownership section. Is there a checkbox at the bottom labeled, "Ignore permissions on this volume?" If so and if it is checked then click on the lock icon, authenticate with your admin password, then uncheck the box.

Also, report what privileges are shown:
Owner= ? with what privileges?
Group= ? with what privileges?
Everyone= ? with what privileges

They should be:
System with r/w privileges
Admin with r/w privileges
Read-only privileges

Unable to REINSTALL SL... "This drive can't be changed"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.